Moorgate - The Widened Lines

Emma H

Never mind the Pullmans, tell us more about the van service!

Not much really as far as my layout is concerned.. The Met had it's own Goods services and I believe the daily van service through to Liverpool Street was for parcels carried on behalf of other companies.

Vans are something else to build, but way way down the to do list...:cool:

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Hi Emma, was great to meet you last weekend and I'm seriously impressed with the size of your project. Looking forward to the next update :thumbs:

Emma H

Managed to completely forget about the previous 2 postings :oops:

First I have built some track...
Moorgate-27.jpg

Second, baseboard building has finished for the time being as I am working on the layout in three stages with the 1st stage concentrating on the western approaches from Aldersgate to Moorgate.

As well as track building a Templot plan is being used to mark out various items such as bridge positions.
Moorgate-30.jpg

Moorgate-31.jpg

The Met BoBo under construction is posed on the layout with the part finished scratchbuilt 1913 Saloon Stock Motor Car.
Moorgate-33.jpg

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Emma

Looks like Mr de Groome and I had better get drawing for some of your stock. Any priorities?

What period are you modelling?

John

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Emma.

Watching with great interest. I always fancied building Rickmansworth, with that tight curve through the platforms and loco changing. It also had the benefit of the GCR running through and pretty well any number of different loco classes. However, it's unlikely I'll ever have the room, and anyway I enjoy building stock too much.

I have a Ken de Groome Met Electric Loco to build and set of five Met Dreadnoughts from Trevor Charlton sides built really well and painted really badly. I've stripped one down ready to rebuild but have yet to work out how to put it together with body separate from chassis so that I can spray it. I'm trying to resist the concept of buying Ken's E and F class tanks but I guess I'll cave in sooner or later.

Many moons ago, when Steph didn't have a hat, he built me a Met electric loco in OO Plasticard working from photos. It's remarkably accurate and gives me great pleasure to see it in the display cabinet. In fact that makes me consider giving it a test on the club's new OO layout. After all, a Met electric loco somewhere in Derbyshire wouldn't be far out of place, would it?:D

Brian

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Brian

Ken de Groome's own layout is of Rickmansworth which has been bent into a U shape. He's far too modest to post pictures here but it's quite something being about 75' long (around the U). If you did contemplate such a project Ken will have all the information you could possibly need.

John

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Brian

Ken de Groome's own layout is of Rickmansworth which has been bent into a U shape. He's far too modest to post pictures here but it's quite something being about 75' long (around the U). If you did contemplate such a project Ken will have all the information you could possibly need.

John
I didn't know that! As you say, Ken is such a modest chap and absolutely charming. The kit of the Met Electric Loco is one of the very best and stands alongside Finney and MOK in my opinion. I've not looked at his coaches in detail as I have my own set (as above) to deal with, but I'd take a guess that they'll be as good as any. In fact, I must admit to a sneaking suspicion that I might just rid myself of the set I have and start again with Ken's. The only problem is that, with one stripped to bare metal and most fixings off I'll have to rebuild it anyway!

Thanks for the info, though. It gives me something more to discuss with Ken when I see him.

While on the subject of things Underground/sub surface I don't suppose you know of a supplier of transfers suitable for the electric loco and coaches, do you? I want mine to be as I remember them, in about 1960, so it'll have to be London TransporT. The transfers available from Radley are not right. The only alternative I've come up with so far is to make a trip to the LT Museum and photograph the numbers and loco-side script there, together with measurements, then do the same with some coaching stock - short of going to Keighley that may be a problem too, and are they in Met or LT livery anyway? (I believe the Chesham stock on the Bluebell is in pre-LT livery so probably of no help). With the contacts on this group I think I'd then be able to get the transfers made up. Anyone any thoughts to help me with this?

This is possibly my last posting before Christmas, so I hope you all have a good one, and best for the New Year too.

Brian

Emma H

Looking great Emma, going to need some serious suspension to deal with the lumps on those templates though ;)
JB.

The layout has sat in the garage for the past 18 months so some of the templates are showing age. They flatten down enough for track laying purposes..

Emma
Looks like Mr de Groome and I had better get drawing for some of your stock. Any priorities?

What period are you modelling?

John

It's 1930(ish) So that means I can have Metropolitan Railway, Hammersmith & City Railway, LMS, LNER & GWR.

I have two of Ken's Met Bo Bo kits and two Dreadnought long brake kits. My other stop/start modelling is scratchbuilding some 1921 saloon stock. If you keen then some 1913 (clerestory roof) saloon stock would not go amiss.

Emma H

Some more progress today showing the wavy timbering on the pointwork :))
24-12-14-1.jpg

Followed by some track laying towards what will be platform 6 which was the preserve of the LMS services.
24-12-14-4.jpg 24-12-14-3.jpg

Some people retain their construction templates and ballast over them. I need to avoid replicating Chat Moss so I am removing mine when finished with so the track can be fixed directly to the underlay.
24-12-14-2.jpg

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Brian

I would try Ken. He's getting them from somewhere!

John
Unfortunately Ken doesn't have them. The locos I've seen by Ken utilise hand painted crests etc and are pre LT. I'll keep searching!

Sorry for pinching your thread, Emma. Back to you now!

Brian