Mike G's Workspace.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
The 5 plank is now finished and work has begun on the gearbox!

BR 5 plank 1.jpg

BR 5 plank 2.jpg

Just waiting for the glue to dry after fitting some of Mr Franks best vaccum pipes. Lovely build, but I really can't wait for my Dremmel battery to charge so I can finish the gearbox.
I've had the stones ventalators arrive - thanks J, so I'm thinking a coach may be next on the bench. Another week of lockdown to go...ho hum...

Stay safe

Mike

AJC

Western Thunderer
Very nice indeed, Mike - might it be worth checking the curve of those door springs? They look a little flat to my eye.

All best,

Adam

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
More wagonery...this time a 12t BR plywood van and a underframe from Rumney models. I've done a few of these over the years, but this was far more relaxing to build than the others. Waiting on the postie for the springs and oil boxes and buffers. I have 4 more of these to build.
I finshed the gearbox on the 56xx, I'll take some video and post it tomorrow.

BR 12t plywood van.jpg

Must order some more bearings! Can definately feel a coach or two coming on after this. Problem is with all this building is the painting back log is starting to get quite big!

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Well this is as far as I can go until the postman drops supplies through the letter box. I also found a complete lack of appropriate wheels in the wheel bin. So, that'll be another couple of days...I did put some Excatoscale wheels in - after gluing them together last night - when I put them into the chassis, it was a real squeeze. Consequently, they weren't free running, in fact I'd describe them as sledges! I did manage to get to be free but this meant taking the W irons out of true, so they've been binned. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I only ever use Ultrascale wheels for my coaches, but at £6.75 per axle for a wagon / van - I ain't paying that. I haven't measured the length of the axles...I suppose I ought to.

I didn't get to test the 56 today. Household chores took priority.

BR 12t plywood van 1.jpg

Stay safe

Mike

Last edited:

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Measured the axles and 26mm spot on, so I must have 4 rogue Exacto bearings. I've changed these for the ones I use in my Bill Bedford sprung bogies and instantly I get a free wheeling chassis.
As promised some video of the 5625 with added weight and a new gearbox. Believe it or not this is the first time I've run frieght on my plank! If you're gonna build this stuff you may as well have the pleasure of running it.

I've started the build on D1791, Comet kit aided by Justiin's stone ventilators.

Have a good weekend all and stay safe.

Mike

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Mike,
Glad to hear you sorted out the wagon wheel/axle issue. That sort of problem is most frustrating. My only experience with Exactoscale wheels is with the cylindrical end axles rather than pin points. There the issue is the number of washers required to eliminate side play but leave the wheel sets free running.
The 56 runs nicely - you just need to extend the track!
Dave.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Mike,
The 56 runs nicely - you just need to extend the track!
Dave.

You're not wrong! I do have plans. I hope you can access the pdf I've posted. Many thanks to Newport Rod for doing that.

Stay safe

Mike

Attachments

• Hengoed HL part 1 track plan.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
Reactions: AJC

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Very impressive track plan, Mike. There are plenty of tracks disappearing "off scene", so is it part of a continuous circuit layout, or are there several fiddle yards connected to those tracks? Is that a flat crossing or does one track pass over/under the other?
Dave.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Dave

There are three layers \ levels. Starting furthest right (bottom)..that's the Cardiff main line going upto Bargoed. The second line which is joined by points coming out of the station throat on the top level, is the Ystrad low level line and this joins the main further down the valley. The line coming off the viaduct, is the one I travelled as a boy and originated back in Pontypool Road. As it moves left the road infront carries on to Nelson and not surprisingly these join about 5 miles further up the valley (going the other way this time). That plan is 31 feet long, my garden just happens to be 33 feet wide. Which leaves 2 feet to put all the garden crap in! The layout will be end to end. So there will have to be some fore shortening and I shall reduce the marshalling yard roads from 8 to 4. Having never built any track, this is going to be challenging! I've attached a pdf of the 1921 map of the area and you can see what runs over and under. So I expect the layout to be 14 inches wide at the top level and the othet 2 roads will only be 4 inches wide - each.
The bottom level will be DMU's class 120's. The second and top level will be freight - as long as I can make them. It wasn't unusual to have 60 16t mins in a coal train going over Crumlin viaduct. The top level will have some passenger work, B sets and M sets. The B set has been completed and I've just started building the M set. You've seen the other train being used on one of my other pages.

Mike

Attachments

• Hengoed map 1921.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Mike, thanks for the explanation and map. Those valley lines certainly provided an amazing array of complex, interweaving lines in their heyday.
Best of luck with it all.
Dave.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
I've been busy on a number of fronts, decorating, garden tidy-up and the Stannier Corr Compo D1791. Few things left to do, glue on the ventilators, add the steps and the hinges to go in - which I forgot to do earlier, plus build the bogies. Today was the interior and to my eye it's turning out to be quite a nice coach.

Stannier corr compo 1.jpg
Stannier corr compo 2.jpg
Stannier corr compo 3.jpg

I did go a bit mad with adding door handles to the interior, it's not something I usually do! This will eventually go into BR Maroon, I have a litre of cellulose fermenting away in my study. Still waiting for castings to arrive to finish the van and if these don't turn up tomorrow I shall be on with finishing the class 37 diesel.
I do wish something could be done about the state of the Comet mouldings for the bogies, they really have lost their crispness and have an awful lot of flash. Think an order to MJT may be in the making. I don't think Justin has the 9 foot LMS bogies in his sights...yet.

Stay safe

Mike

Kempenfelt

I don't think Justin has the 9 foot LMS bogies in his sights...yet.

On the contrary Mike, I saw a couple of nice little test etch's last month! ;) The D1791's looking great btw!

Just been having a look at your Hengoed plan. Be interesting to see the dimensions/layout for the shed, I've got a few idea's which could work, feel free to send them across over Whatsapp if interested in talking through options! :)

Paul

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Paul

The die for the shed is already cast. It's going to be full width of the garden and about 6 feet deep. So should give me 5 ft inside. The layout isn't very wide so there should be plenty of room. I'm hoping for more brownie points as I want to extend it nearest the garden wall and make a paint studio. Rather than pinch a couple of feet off the length for it. So the shape will be an 'L' .
What I don't want are breakdowns on the furthest road and not be able to reach it. The idea of 3 different running levels is not unique but it really appeals to the sadist in me.

Hope you're gettingsome modelling done and still not building houses!

Stay safe mate.

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Stones ventilators are in and the train alarm gear has been added. The castings have turned up for the BR van so they get done tomorrow morning.

Stannier Corr compo D1791 b.jpg

Stannier Corr compo D1791 c.jpg

The ventilators are fiddly to get into place and solder - but well worth the effort. Just the bogies to do, gotta clean up the castings first. Love building coaches, so satisfying.

Stay safe

Mike

AJC

Western Thunderer
Very nice, very tidy, work, Mike. I must admit that building coaches drives me round the bend...

Adam