Macton Waggon Diorama

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Sorry it was just a figure of speech, but I confess I'm struggling to recall the exact profile.
A panic search yields both your design (in whatever shop was used for manufacturing 6" shells during the Great War) and (in the Erecting Shop) an interwoven circular pattern, so your choice entirely!
Looks like the interwoven circles are used on a larger girder (for heavier loads) than the other design?
Girders 1.jpgGirders 2.jpg

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Thanks Tony, even though it is an oblique angle I can't help thinking that they are a bit oval..... Oh the lightbulb just went off interwoven circles creating the impression of ellipses. You have to hand it to the Edwardian and Victorian designers to create flowery industrial stuff.

Michael

Osgood

Western Thunderer
In Talbot’s book A Pictorial Tribute To Crewe Works In The Age Of Steam there is a very clear early 1900s image of a collapsed 25T crane (looks similar to hand cranes but powered by continuous ropes on walls) in the Erecting shop showing, from above as it is now sitting on the cab of a tank engine, the construction of the moving trolley with hoisting machinery.
Although bigger (and having timber bridge girders - which had snapped) I imagine the mechanism and construction will have been broadly similar.

The image appears to show yet another variation of cast runway beam - same as your single row but using circles not ovals, but studying closer it could well be ‘flatter’ ovals.

Last edited:

michael mott

Western Thunderer
The Crewe works book arrived today, I am a happy camper. I was a bit unsure about the whitewashed walls but there are a number of pictures that confirm they were, at least in some of the shops.

Michael

simond

Western Thunderer
I have neither the skill nor the patience to hand carve brickwork. (Nor indeed the patience to acquire the skill!)

What is the tool, is it rotary or percussive?

cheers
Simon

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon, it is a rotary tool with 012 ball bur, and the MDF is hard on the burs they will still be useful for other soft materials.
The tool is an older version of this type of rotary tool
I like the foot switch. it takes 3/32 shaft drills and burs.

Michael

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Michael, it seems a neat, small, bit of kit, but I have a Proxxon which, though a bit bigger, does much the same job.