LBSCR train

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Lately I've been spending time putting together a LBSCR train. This will comprise of horsebox, second class coach, carriage truck complete with carriage, first class carriage and a brake van. The first class carriage is almost complete and the brake van will materialise next year sometime, hopefully within the first six months of the new year. The horsebox, I made some time ago but it needed a coat of matt varnish in order to blend in the transfers. Similarly, the carriage truck was finished quite a while ago but had no transfers. It now has those plus a coat of matt varnish. The carriage, I finished today. I've ordered a drawing of the brake van from the NRM but it's anyone's guess when it will arrive, all things considered. I will also need an engine, maybe Jennifer Who.

Jon

IMG_4436.JPG IMG_4439.JPG IMG_4441.JPG IMG_4442.JPG

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Dave
I had a look in Bradley's The Locomotives of the LBSCR at the Craven locos and yes, there quite a few there but, I've already bought items to go toward 'Jennifer Who' and so I think that I'm kind of committed now. Unless, do you have an idea?

Jon

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Jon

I had taken it as read the Jenny Lind will be built :) and it's nice to see some LBSCR modelling.

I was thinking more of one of the Craven tank engines such as the West End Well Tanks or even the experimental 4-4-0 tank. There's plenty to choose from.

When I began modelling many moons ago (then 4mm) the LBSCR, and later central section, was my preferred company - and in order not to follow my dad who modelled the SECR (ex-LCDR). I even used the parts from a GEM Gladstone to convert into a Stroudley C1 .

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
The first class carriage finished and now in the 'train'. I tried to fit seats but it didn't work out. They became jammed while I was trying to fit them and the eventual removal put dents in the sides. The paint being matt, they don't show too much in the photo but in the flesh, it's a different story.

Jon

IMG_4450.JPG

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi Jon
The reason I asked what year it was is that I have an article by S.T. Turner in MBT Vol.4 No.4 'Early Goods Stock of the LB&SCR.
There is a photo of brake van no.93 of 1880 and the outline drawings of an 1851 and 59 brake vans, drawn at 7mm to the ft.

This is an 6 page article also with a coal wagon of 1850-60 and a covered goods of 1851 these are also drawn in 7mm to the ft.
You may already have this article, but it might be of interest to others as well.

Dave

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Dear Dave
I have that article too. I have built a version of No. 93 (it's shown in one of my posts) but that is a goods brake van and the new one will be a passenger brake and painted green. The one that I'll be building is shown on page 110, fig. 5.6 contained in LBSCR Carriages Volume II. There is a drawing held at the NRM and I've ordered a copy but not sure when it will arrive.

Re the Simon Turner article, I've also built one of the coal wagons shown there.

Jon

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi Jon
Sorry didn't realise it was for Pass. train. Can I ask was the prototype built by Stroudley or Billington? I have 7 6 wheel Billington drawings by S.M. Hunter and 3, 4 wheel Tustin drawing of Stroudley types but not a brake van.

Dave

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Dave
I'm probably not the best person to answer your query but, I'll try. I am drawing heavily from the section in Volume II for that written below.
The brake van was a derivative design from the Craven goods van of 1851. The official drawing held at the NRM (G883) is simply entitled 'brake van' and there is no confirmation that any were built exactly as shown. It is likely that both passenger and goods brakes built before the introduction of the lantern were similar to this drawing. The drawing was signed off in 1860 but the design features suggest early to mid 1850s.
I hope this is of some help.

Jon