LarryG buildings WB ...

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry

I'm not sure whether you've seen this in the RCTS photo archive. There is a 1964 colour photo of Llanfyllin giving some more ideas of Cambrian Railways brick colour. Here they appear a more orange-brown (obviously allowances must be made for the film stock, exposure, lighting, processing, etc of the period).

There is also a 1964 colour photo of Pool Quay in this sequence showing some nice detail.

.....and the more I dug I came across this (watch for free) 1965 amateur 8 or 16mm colour film of the Llanfyllin to Oswestry branch line in the BFI archives. Again this shows brick colours.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Disaster this morning though when my older-than-me electric motor that drives the heavy air compressor via a Renault fan belt packed in. PhilH came to the rescue with his portable Sparmak.

WEB Cattle pen 13B.jpg

The stone-clad cattle platform was sprayed and weathered today to match other things. I didn't cover the brickwork with stone work right to the end because I intended cutting that bit off. However, I quite like the way the bricks look, so it could be repairs or sommat...
WEB Cattle pen 13C.jpg

As I keep repeating, nothing including the backscene is glued down yet....
WEB Cattle pen 13D.jpg

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
The stone-clad cattle platform was sprayed and weathered today to match other things. I didn't cover the brickwork with stone work right to the end because I intended cutting that bit off. However, I quite like the way the bricks look, so it could be repairs or sommat...
To my very unpracticed eye, Larry, that looks superb. It suggests some out of the ordinary incident which has lead to a repair. Perhaps, stone not being available, the brick carrying vehicle that hit it just left enough of the evidence for the local brickies to do the job.......

Brian

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Stone is seen on the handsome Llanidloes & Newtown station building at Llanidloes while the more usual brownish-orange brick was used to build the goods shed. It contrasts with the red brick of the signal box, which is more reminiscent of GWR buildings constructed after the 1880's....

WEB Bricks 7.jpg

Early August and the sun is high in the sky. Regardless of camera exposure, there is no doubt that when seen amid the surrounding scenery, the station building at Brecon and at other station on the borders stood out brightly. The design on the bargeboards is very close to that which I purchased from York Modelmaking.....
WEB Bricks 8.jpg

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I believe this is the brick colour to aim for - not as garish as the standard GW brick built structures with their industrial deep red/orange/pink brick. I've seen this industrial deep red/orange/deep pink brick used in structures around in parts of Leeds, Manchester and Leigh.

It appears the Brecon station building has been faced front and rear with cream/yellow bricks.

As I use Vallejo acrylics someone asked me what colours I used for ordinary 1950's-60's LBC Flettons for this.
Mess 96.jpg

All I could do is produce this as the colours were mixed randomly on the palette to achieve the desired effect (the roman numerals were used in a description of the colours mixed).
paint.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks for that Dave. Is that toilet block real? If it's a model it is unbelievably good. I do beleive you are on the right track there.

Some Humbrol matt 100 (brown-red) and Humbrol 70 (dark brown) paint was bought today today. I was told are brick colours.
WEB Bricks 9.jpg

I mixed some cellulose until it closely matched Humbrol 100. The Humbrol is on the left.
WEB Bricks 9B.jpg

The cellulose panel was them "mortared". The LH side mortar is PPC Cement Rendering. The RH side is Humbrol Matt White. It lightens the face of the bricks. Some of the bricks were then picked out with Humbrol 100, PPC light brick red and PPC BR Bauxite. I ran out of daylight before getting there! It needs to be more orange.
WEB Bricks 9C.jpg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Is that toilet block real? If it's a model it is unbelievably good. I do beleive you are on the right track there.

It's an Intentio laser cut kit of the BR(S) mess room built at Bognor Regis in 1955. I wanted a 'modern' building for a proposed London Transport layout.

As you say with your brick sample - a touch more orange and a tad lighter and you're there. I would use both the PPC cement rendering as well as the white with the white giving the impression of repointed sections of brickwork. Don't be afraid to paint the odd brick with a dark brown to simulate those which were on the outer edges of the stacks in the firing kilns.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I think it is a much nicer colour than the rich red brick the GW used for their later buildings. A big :thumbs: for perservering.

It will appear lighter when you apply the mortar together with the sandstone lintels and sills and cream/ivory white barge boards. Looking forward to seeing the completed building.

The goods shed will also look good finished in this lighter brick colour.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Stone is seen on the handsome Llanidloes & Newtown station building at Llanidloes while the more usual brownish-orange brick was used to build the goods shed. It contrasts with the red brick of the signal box, which is more reminiscent of GWR buildings constructed after the 1880's....

View attachment 133099

Larry,

I have driven past Llanidloes a few times over the years and I always thought it was all red brick and not stone.
Had a quick Google streetview session and I reckon the stone you can see is a slate hung wall (ok slate is stone!) but fitted nicely around the corner quoins.

The rest of the building is red brick but that end (and that end of the single story appendage) is rendered these days.

As that is the south west facing aspect I suspect they have had a bit of penetrating (soft welsh) damp from quite early on, but a slate hung wall does add a bit of a different texture to it all.

Keep 'em coming, it's all very inspiring.

Keep Safe Out There

Rob

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Flashing & weathering ...

The building was sprayed the colour showing on the bargeboards etc. The brown bricks were picked out to a general diamond pattern and then the creamy-white mortar courses added. I still wasn't happy with the colouring and so the orange 'cast' was added by dry-brushing cellulose across the face of the brickwork. The elasticity of celly helps to keep it on the surface of the bricks and not overrun into the cement grooves.

Had the bricks been sprayed with the orange to begin with, the white mortar would have given it the wrong 'cast'. I tested it on the back wall beforehand. The process sounds more laborious than it really is. Now I have a technique, it will be applied to the goods shed...
WEB House 14B.jpg

Stone trim next...
WEB House 14C.jpg

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
This is looking good Larry - much better than the gloomy dark red brick you alluded to much earlier in the thread.

The lighting also shows how the colour varies, the photo in the sun picks up the nice orange glow.

Will you be picking out some of the detail as on Llanfyllin such as the lower corner bricks painted white for about 15 courses on protruding corners and the white painted stone steps? It wouldn't surprise me if the corner behind the lady with the blue coat was also painted white.

yeuvr8y6.jpg

....having said that this screen capture from the BFI film shows it was.

Screenshot_2020-11-16 Watch Jan 14 1965 Llanfyllin to Oswestry Branch Line - BFI Player.png

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The building is looking very good Larry.

I am still in two minds about the sandstone brick around the base. They could be engineering blue brick...

I'd copy Llanfyllin. Paint the four base courses the same colour as the building brick and the bevelled bricks sandstone. If it doesn't look right paint the bevelled bricks either brown, darker red, engineering blue or cream.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The building is looking very good Larry.

I'd copy Llanfyllin. Paint the four base courses the same colour as the building brick and the bevelled bricks sandstone. If it doesn't look right paint the bevelled bricks either brown, darker red, engineering blue or cream.
I think you have something there. The base courses have now been painted red while leaving the beveled bricks sandstone, and immediately it all look right.

Goods shed in Halfords primer ready for tomorrow...
WEB Goods shed 9B.jpg

Last edited: