Keeping Brass Clean During A Build

Intercity126

Western Thunderer
I'm becoming a fan of the dishwasher. There has been mention of coating and residue from the finishing fluid, but it leaves plates clean enough to eat your dinner off of.

I've also used an electric toothbrush to good effect, although don't use the same brush for your teeth.

S

SteveO

I've been thinking of this very subject for a few days. While I'm getting ever closer to finishing my 3 vans I've been wondering how I'm going to get a final clean up before a blow over with a coat of etch primer.

I've contemplated the toothbrush and shiny sinks/barkeeper's friend combo but also thought about an ultrasonic cleaner with citric acid or white vinegar additive. I've read a quite exhaustive thread on RMW extolling the virtues of ultrasonic cleaners and I'm leaning this way as it's hands-free and seems much more thorough than the alternative.

Does anyone have any views or preferences?

adrian

Flying Squad
I've read a quite exhaustive thread on RMW extolling the virtues of ultrasonic cleaners and I'm leaning this way as it's hands-free and seems much more thorough than the alternative.
I've been following that thread as well but it seemed a bit inconclusive. I asked for a before and after photo but as I recall nothings been posted. If you find out more I'd be interested.

S

SteveO

I thought I'd try an experiment tonight. As you may know, I'm building 3 brass vans, all in a similar state of messyness. I haven't cleaned them since before I soldered on the doors last week so they will have residues of 7mm flux and my grubby paws all over them. Observe:
Photo0081.jpg
Photo0082.jpg
Photo0083.jpg

I found a suitable container and filled it with boiling water (1.5l), white vinegar (150ml) and cheap washing up liquid without fragrance (approx 50ml):
Photo0084.jpg

I then dropped in a wagon, stirred it and put the lid on.
Photo0085.jpg

I'll report back on results tomorrow. I've read that it's best to use salt but we don't have any spare so I'l see how this goes and maybe use salt on another experiment.

Meanwhile, If anyone thinks of an experiment for the other two wagons I'm happy to give it a go, as long as I have the ingredients in the kitchen.

S

SteveO

A small update. Working from home today meant that I could have a look at the wagon cleaning process to see how it was bearing up before I officially unveiled it after 24 hours.

I'd put it by the kitchen window above the sink. The smell of vinegar raised a few eyebrows (well, just the two that my partner wears) but I knew what was in my concoction so all was well. I'd used a biscuit tin as that was the only thing I could find (erm, was allowed to use) that would fit a wagon in – just.

Unfortunately, biscuit barrels are not watertight. The vinegar smell was the liquid leaking out into the sink. The experiment is on hold until I can find something that holds water – or vinegar. FAIL.