It's been awhile

bogusman

Western Thunderer
Now that the Bloater is nearing compleation I have been looking through my cupboard of kits to be built for a rainy day (all modellers I know have one) and I wanted to build something away from loco's and rolling stock and I came across this little gem. So this is the next in line!

Pete
20200725_193225.jpg

bogusman

Western Thunderer
It is with much sadness that this will be my final post. I have always understood this was mainly a 7mm site and 4mm would always be a small part ( no pun intended) and the quality in the 7mm scale has been quite breath taking. I will now be moving on to a site of like minded modellers in the scale I model. All the best to all WT members for the future.

Pete

AJC

Western Thunderer
Pete,

Fair enough, I will be sorry not to see your posts here (as a fellow 4mm modeller, and more particularly, as someone more interested than what goes on behind the loco draawhook than most here). I hope you don't mind my asking where I will be able to follow your future progress?

All the very best,

Adam

paulc

Western Thunderer
It is with much sadness that this will be my final post. I have always understood this was mainly a 7mm site and 4mm would always be a small part ( no pun intended) and the quality in the 7mm scale has been quite breath taking. I will now be moving on to a site of like minded modellers in the scale I model. All the best to all WT members for the future.

Pete
Hi Pete , sorry to see you go . I've always thought of W.T. as a modellers site where people actually build stuff independent of scale unlike some sites where the armchair modellers and the nit pickers reside .
Good luck, cheers Paul .

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Hi Pete,
I am sorry to learn you are leaving. Even though I model in S7 now I used to be a P4 man and have followed your posts with interest. We can all learn from different scales, most practical techniques work irrespective of scale, and I have always thought that WT is more tolerant and suportive than the other forums.
Wherever you end up enjoy your modelling.
Ian.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
I’ve known Pete since I was 11 years old, as we went to school together and have been great friends ever since. He turned 59 a fortnight ago, so what with losing a few more marbles and maybe a touch of heatstroke, he’s probably not thinking straight!

I’ll have a word with him, as I, for one, was looking forward to following his “Peter K”, GWR footbridge build, which was/is about to occupy his workbench.

Regards

Dan

adrian

Flying Squad

Pete
Thanks Pete for your response and feedback, it is appreciated. There are a few who join and then after the initial flurry of postings decide it's not for them and just disappear without a word. Which is fine by me, I've done it myself on a few other sites so not decrying that, just to say that for you to take time out and let us have some feedback it is appreciated.

I can understand why WT comes across at first glance a 7mm scale forum given the majority of posts are from that scale but my understanding is that for Cynric, "the Guv'nor", the principle aim was for a forum was for people "making stuff". It just so happened that most of the early adopters were modelling in the 7mm scale. However there was plenty interest in new modelling techniques, Cynric was a rather prolific early promoter of laser cutting modelling.

Hence why there a quite a few posts from other scales and genres where it is the modelling and making of stuff that is of interest. I certainly think that it enriches the forum for the different aspects that these models bring to the table. It's certainly the main reason why I joined and why I try to support the forum as best I can, but I can understand why it might not suit everyone.

I like to think we are a fairly eclectic bunch of modellers, although whilst on the subject of the forum please indulge me as I think the other advantage is that we have is that we have no direct ties or funding from any commercial organisation so we don't need to moderate comments on commercial offerings. I also have strong views on advertising and tracking so for as long as possible I will do my best to keep WT completely ad free and there is no pernicious ad tracking (cookies are only used if you want the convenience of the site remembering your logon details) , likewise there is no affiliation with any scale group so we can avoid some of the internal politics ( and agitators!) of some modelling groups.

So I hope you find in the new site something more to your interests, as an aside I would be interested to know where you end up as I'm always ready to learn if there are others sites offering something different. However I think WT will always remain a rather niche forum. So enjoy the new site and please feel free to keep us updated on your modelling at any time - what you have posted to date has always been of interest.

Regards

Adrian

Overseer

Western Thunderer
The differing interpretations of Pete's last post is interesting, I read it as saying he didn't feel on the same wavelength as other 4mm modellers on WT, rather than an issue with 7mm modellers, as there are very few P4 or EM modellers posting regularly on WT (apart from Bogusman only Jim s-w and AJC come immediately to mind) doing interesting things. Apologies if I have this completely wrong. Selfishly, I will be sorry if Pete stops posting. It is always good, and inspiring, to see high quality models being made. The scale is of lesser importance, especially as we are only looking at pictures on WT.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
I'm doing my best in 4mm EM gauge, but I only get so much modelling time, despite being retired. It's a lot more than it was when I was working, and as far as I'm concerned, good modelling, is good modelling, whatever the scale or gauge, something that I aspire to.