How to apply Slater's transfers?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have some PO wagon transfers that were supplied by Slater's Plastikard in their 7mm POW kits in the late 1990s. The instructions with the transfers say that the way to apply the transfer is to use a mix of Meths and Water to wet the transfer before applying the transfer to the model. The wisdom of WT for waterslide transfers is to apply to a gloss surface, use Microsol / Microset to aid application of the transfer and finish with matt varnish.

Does the WT wisdom for waterslide transfers apply to Methfix transfers?

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

thank you, Graham

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Does the WT wisdom for waterslide transfers apply to Methfix transfers?

Waterslide transfers tend to have a carrier film which can show silvering on a rough surface, but is less of an issue on gloss. Methfix/Pressfix don’t have a carrier, so the risk of silvering isn’t there.

Theoretically, Methfix type transfers should be fine to apply on a non-glossed surface, though I haven’t actually done this myself.

Last edited:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I find that if the surface isn't glossy they have a tendency to stick fast and it's difficult to nudge them if they are out of place.

I use Microsol/Microset in place of the meths mixture and it does the job just the same. As long as you keep them moist you can reposition to your hearts content until happy with a the placement.