How Do You Line A Locomotive Using Fox Transfers?

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
I have tried lining a loco using Fox transfers but it ended in disaster, I couldn't move the lining about and it broke. Can anybody show me the best way to do it as I have two of them to finish?
Regards

Len Cattley

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Hello Len

With difficulty it seems. I haven't lined a vechicle for many years with Fox decals.

Before my E4 (below) my last item was a maroon Clacton 2 car EMU. I had similar difficulties you have described at which point I tried to be clever and use the Microscale Microset and Microsol solutions. The decal just creased up and I had to start again this time lining in sections without the Microscale solutions.

The later Fox decals now seem to accept the Microscale solutions and I believe they have altered their backing film. (Apoligies in advance if you already know what's coming) Microset appears to be a very weak acetic acid solution and acts as a wetting and setting agent to help the decals slide over the model. Microsol is a softening solution used once the decal has been located and softens the decal to draw it over irregular surfaces such as louvres, rivets etc. It does initially crease the decal but it then dries smooth over the irregular surface.

After my early disasters I bit the bullet and used Fox decals (over a year ago) for the BRITISH RAILWAYS lettering and numbering on my O scale E4 using the Microscale solutions. The Microsol 'drew' the numbers across the bunker panel as can be seen.

I believe there are other brands of decal solutions on the market and I only use Microscale as I also model Canadian and American railroads in HO.

E4 s2473 01.jpg

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Not lined any loco's but I have done a few coaches with Fox lining, if it's any help I cut the coach lining down to more manageable pieces, I get the backing in the right place & slide the end of the line onto the model then pull the backing paper from under the transfer with a wet brush leaving the line in approximately the right place & adjusted with wet brush adding more water if necessary, then soaking up the excess with kitchen roll near to the transfer.
I did find that removing the transfer from the water has to be timed just right, I found as soon as the transfer will move on the backing it was time to remove it from the water, a few more seconds & they start to lift off the paper which makes things very tricky to say the least !

MK11 Lining.JPG

Phill :)

rosspeacock

Modelling on a £1200 table.
Hi agree with Phill re cutting trasfers down and the timing as Phill says is crucial as you'll wash the adhesives away too if they lift off the carrier fim, I've not personally used any of those chemicals afore mentioned but im sure they work well.. Also I use good quality cotton buds and use them to add (for re-positioning) and for soaking up any excess water using a rolling type action if that makes sense? Ross :thumbs:

S

Simon Dunkley

Not lined any loco's but I have done a few coaches with Fox lining,
Question, do you start with the corners, and in-fill between them, or put the straight lines in first, then add the corners last?

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
I have seen quite a few demonstrators using a lining pen at various exhibitions but never applying transfers, I think there would be quite a lot of interest, me included in this dark art.

Martyn.

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
Have finished lining the engine and tender, its pretty hard with the tender being the hardest as it's welded with no rivets to line the lines up with. What you need to do is take it very slowly cut the lines in small runs make sure they are in line. When I have finished varnishing them I will put some pictures on here.

Len