Help MLI issue 102 Class 44 - 46

Andrew Thompson

Western Thunderer
I am building a JLTRT 44 in as built condition for a friend and I am looking to buy or borrow a copy of Modern Loco illustrated issue 102 The Peaks .
Searched the internet but out of stock and no apparent second hand sales at present.
All post costs paid and will return by next day post if any one willing to lend a copy .Happy to buy a copy if any one selling .

Andrew

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hello Andrew,

I can't help you with the magazine, but I would ask you to do a detailed thread on the construction.

My JLTRT 44 stalled at this point....

JLTRT Peak 3jpg.jpg

because I don't know enough anything about peaks, and the instructions were crap as regard the placement of underframe fittings I couldn't properly identify. It seems a shame to leave it at this point.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Richard, if you photo the fittings in question and post then I'm sure you'll get plenty of help as to what they are and where they go for any particular loco or era you wish for ;)

Simon

Flying Squad
That's a very fine looking model Richard, I hope you get some info and get back on to it. Will it have sound fitted in due course?

Simon

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
That's a very fine looking model Richard, I hope you get some info and get back on to it. Will it have sound fitted in due course?

Simon

Hi Simon

It's been running under DC, but I used the JLTRT power units, and they do not give the smooth running it needs, so it needs to be repowered which is a pain. It really is just underframe bits and bobs and final detail otherwise, then painting. However, the rest of the Heyside gang are insisting I finish off some region specific steam locos first (Fowler tank, crab, Aspinall A), before I get back on to the backlog!

It will have sound. I think diesel sound is very good indeed, steam less so, and I shall pass it to Tim when the time comes to fit it out. He's the chappie who fitted 5 speakers in my Deltic:)

Richard

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Richard

It does indeed look a lovely model, I'm surprised though that the JLTRT poer packs do ont work, could you elaborate more ?

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Richard

This was a fairly early JLTRT Peak. The power pack was a decent motor screwed into the brass bogie inside frame with a simple worm drive. No gearbox. No finesse. It works well, pulls a heavy train, but is hugely let down by the starting and stopping characteristics. Particularly slowing down where a smooth gradual deceleration is almost impossible to pull off. It's never been chipped, so I might be able to do something within the chip, but I know I would never use the combination now, so I shouldn't keep it in there when I finish it off.

Richard

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Richard

It should be relatively easy to cut away the top of the brass inside bogie and fit an ABC diesel gear box, the only down side is they are just not cheap. You might be well be able to reuse the motor with it.

Richard