Heljan off on a tangent

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

I see on another Forum that the rumour machine has started regarding Heljan going into steam outline, apparently, the Danish version of their website is hinting about a Danish 4-4-2 - when will they be announcing their first UK outline models - in any scale, one wonders?

regards

Mike

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Mike,

A year or two ago I was told by a very good source that Heljan had started researching a UK-outline steam loco; ostensibly for production in 7mm scale...

I never heard anything about it since, but I can't say I'd be surprised if they did announce something.

Steph

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I would have thought a GWR Prairie Tank would be a popular choice in view of popularity of GWR BLT  :scratch:
Phill  :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor
I think they must be at the point of looking for new prototypes to model. when I started in 7mm I would never have believed that it would be possible to buy a plastic bodied  rtr Pannier let alone a diesel. They must look at the success of the Lionheart models and fancy a piece of the pie.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
I think they must be at the point of looking for new prototypes to model. when I started in 7mm I would never have believed that it would be possible to buy a plastic bodied  rtr Pannier let alone a diesel. They must look at the success of the Lionheart models and fancy a piece of the pie.

Yes, and with the right prototype could get it.  I hope they'd use a better sound profile than the Lionheart one though... :headbang:

Mind you, with the cost of Chinese manufacturing at the moment anyone could have a go; it need not be at all expensive.  The best solution would probably involve making the tools in the UK and getting the item produced in China.

Steph

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
CME & Bottlewasher said:
Hi Steph :scratch:

IMHHO the sound on the Lionheart Pannier is the best yet........ :scratch:

BTW I understand that tin went up by 300% last year and lead and tin up by 33% this year, thus far......

ATVB,

CME :wave:
Does this mean brass kits will now be comparable in price with JLTRT  ;) ;D :wave:

Neil

Western Thunderer
I wonder if Heljan do better with their 7mm or 4mm ranges? If they're turning their attention towards steam engines then I'd guess they'll be influenced by the scale with the better returns (whichever that is) to test the water. But if it's 4mm  they'll have to stray a bit from the better trodden pathways to stand a chance of decent sales as Bachmann and Hornby seem to have all the usual suspects sewn up. To be honest I rather hope they do some stuff from the less popular fringes (bit bored with BR and big four standards now), they don't seem fazed by the exotic diesels. Again it's a guess but I could see a greater chance of wacky prototypes in 4mm than 7mm where the standard stuff isn't as well covered rtr.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Neil said:
I wonder if Heljan do better with their 7mm or 4mm ranges? If they're turning their attention towards steam engines then I'd guess they'll be influenced by the scale with the better returns (whichever that is) to test the water. But if it's 4mm  they'll have to stray a bit from the better trodden pathways to stand a chance of decent sales as Bachmann and Hornby seem to have all the usual suspects sewn up. To be honest I rather hope they do some stuff from the less popular fringes (bit bored with BR and big four standards now), they don't seem fazed by the exotic diesels. Again it's a guess but I could see a greater chance of wacky prototypes in 4mm than 7mm where the standard stuff isn't as well covered rtr.
:scratch: Falcon would be a welcome addition to the 7mm range  :drool: 8) 8) 8)