Heljan Catfish and how to convert to S7

richard carr

Western Thunderer
I bought a Heljan Catfish wagon from Tower models, I thought these looked really good, but as I model in S7 the big question is always how easy is it to convert one.

Here's the wagon before conversion

IMG_1067.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG

There is quite a bit of detail, more than I expected, the paint finish as always is excellent.

When it comes to the conversion though it didn't initially look too good, the wheels are trapped in place by the brakes, but the good news was that with a bit of poking around with a craft knife the cross beam will come out from one end and the brakes themselves will come out of the wagon. Once they are out the wheels can be popped out and replacement peartree wheels can be fitted. The peartree bearing fits in the Heljan bearing as on the VAA and OBA. The bearing isn't as deep so the peartree one needs to be shortened.

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

You need to take a fair bit off and the easiest way is to put the bearing on the axle and file it all down in one.

Here's the wagon with the brakes removed.

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

You need to file a lot off the brake blocks to stop them fouling the wheels but once you have the brakes just clip back in again and everything works ok.
It took about an hour and 30 minutes to get this one done and I imagine the next ones won't take much more than 30 minutes now I know what I'm doing.

Here's the finished wagon with an MMP for comparison

IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1080.JPG

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Richard,
the bearings are interesting. On the VBA and OAA the Peartree bearings go fully in. There was a difference in the width between bearing faces on the two wagons with the VBA chassis assembled so that it was narrower between bearing faces; I filled the rims of the Peartree bearings to generate the clearance. QA?
Simon

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Simon

Yes on the VBA, OAA wagons the heljan bearings are deeper and the peartree ones can just slot in, you also don't need to do anything with the disc brakes.
On the cat fish the Heljan bearing isn't anywhere near as deep and you need to file the peartree bearing and axle back a good bit to get them to fit.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Good stuff,

But I'm interested in this poking into one of your views ;)
Img_1077.jpg

Is that a dummy traction motor and wheel set and the brake linkage looks familiar, Deltic maybe?