Greetings from the Fens!

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Hello everyone!

After some gentle persuasion by @Herb Garden I've found myself here, finally being brave enough to share some of my modelling endeavours. Thank you for letting me join!

A little about me: I'm a (proud) Norfolk lad who has held an interest in railways since I can remember. It all started with a fractured tibia and a 'Thomas' VHS to pass the time (I was 2!) and the bug never left me. Growing up, I held fascination with a broad spectrum of railway interests, but my main focus was always honed in on the "home" railways and as such my main passions are the GER, M&GN and, latterly, the L&FR.

That's not to say I won't happily discuss or model other eras or regions - I have a particular soft spot for the Highland Railway, as well as later subjects such as Gresley streamliners and the early diesel period.

I do not currently have a layout, instead focusing on developing my skills, mostly by wagon building (kits, kit bashing and modifying rtr stock). The dream is to pick up a soldering iron and master that medium, at which point the skies the limit and a rake of L&FR clerestory stock in 4mm will be mine...

Below is a taster of what's to come when I work out how to navigate this forum!

20230912_200706.jpg

And finally, why 'Liver & Fry'? Well, the L&FR lettered their open wagons L&FRY which gave rise to the amusing nickname 'Liver & Fry'!
I'm also known on another popular forum as 'Jammy2305' which was a carry over from my earlier Internet days. But, for ease, you can just call me James...

Thank you for taking the time to read and I look forward to being a part of the community!

Best wishes

- James

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Welcome matey!

Thanks for putting up with my 'gentle' persuasion.... good to see you on here and those excellent wagons of yours ... please do share more pictures it seems to be the currency round here.

Once you've found out where the canteen is etc maybe a workbench/workshop thread is the place to start? Given your geographical mix of pre grouping flavoured projects.

Welcome on board

George

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hello James, good to see someone modelling something interesting and out of the ordinary (and the Lynn and Fakenham is certainly that!). Welcome, I look forward to seeing more.

Adam

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Welcome James and well done "Herb Garden" for the persuasion, more East Anglian modelling is a definite bonus. You don't mention scale?
All the best
Julian

Thank you!

I made reference to 4mm but I should have been more specific - Owing to the size of my collection and my historic association with it, I am still working in 00, but I am considering a jump to EM gauge in the future, at least when the L&FR layout comes to fruition!

Best wishes

James

AJC

Western Thunderer
Thank you!

I made reference to 4mm but I should have been more specific - Owing to the size of my collection and my historic association with it, I am still working in 00, but I am considering a jump to EM gauge in the future, at least when the L&FR layout comes to fruition!

Best wishes

James

Given the distinctive lightweight nature of the Permanent Way, you'd be looking to build track anyway so you know it makes sense. ;)

Adam

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Only some of us still want to model the ex GWR. Welcome L&F.
Don't worry Alan I am still a GW follower having been born and raised next to the main line in Maidenhead.
I just am attracted to the railways in East Anglia especially pregrouping.
Cheers
Julian

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Thank you!

Best wishes

James
James

Welcome aboard and good to see some lovely modelling as well as another East Anglian modeller, even if a rather eclectic one like George! I heard from George that you might have received some ‘encouragement’ to start in EM on Saturday. I can only support that; give it a try and see what you think.

Nigel

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
James

Welcome aboard and good to see some lovely modelling as well as another East Anglian modeller, even if a rather eclectic one like George! I heard from George that you might have received some ‘encouragement’ to start in EM on Saturday. I can only support that; give it a try and see what you think.

Nigel

Thank you!

'Encouragement' is one word for it! It's on the agenda for the future because in order to model the L&FR, I'll have to build *everything*, so it makes sense!

- James