Greetings from Ayrshire!

John Bardwell

Finally got around to joining this forum! I recently returned to the UK after 17 years in the USA, and am happily residing in Kilmarnock. I'm a member of the West of Scotland 4mm Group, modelling mostly in 4mm scale, a long-standing S4 Society and Highland Railway Society member, and more recently a member of the GSWR Association, in recognition of my adopted hometown and the WoS4mmG current layout, Garlieston, which we've recently brought to a more-or-less completed state.

My interests are varied - from pre-grouping splendor all the way through to 70s / 80s blue grot, the latter reflecting my youth in Yorkshire. My workshop (a purpose-built shed at the bottom of the garden) is finally coming to completion, so hopefully I'll be able to get my own layout build(s) up and running soon.

John Bardwell

Welcome John!

First question. How big a shed? And what's the plan to go into the shed once built?

Herbie (George)
Hi Herbie -

As always, the answer is "not big enough"!

However, constrained by a narrow Victorian walled garden and a very large Horse Chestnut with a preservation order on it (our house is also B-listed as of historical import..) we did the best we could. Interior dimensions are 4.1m by 3.8m or thereabouts - enough for a shunting plank or two, and construction of exhibitable layouts that will fit in bits in the back of a car.

John Bardwell

Hello again Ian! It was a treat to have your loco running on Garlieston at Perth. It is my intent to build some more Sou-West stock for the layout as time permits, to augment the Portpatrick Railway stock that Allan Goodwillie and Ray Nolton have built for us.