Grahame's N/2mm bashes

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
A bit of progress on the gasholder station. These two buildings are unfinished and need details, like gutters, downpipes, vents and flues, made and added.

DSC_0303red.jpg

In addition I've made the security/gate house (although also not quite finished) that is at the entrance to the site on the Old Kent Road:

DSC_0285red.jpg

I've also made a start on the gas showroom that was on the Old Kent Road but on other side of the entrance road from the security/gate house. And the next building project will be the booster/pump house that should complete all the structures needed for the gasholder station scene.

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Slowly chipping away at my 1970s/80s gasholder station entrance scene. I say entrance as the site it is roughly based on went back behind the backscene a long way and included three further holders, a school (the regional training centre), van and lorry petrol/diesel station, vehicle work shops, central laboratories, test houses, DED stores, appliance warehouses, works canteen and a large staff car park built on the former retort houses and other works production buildings. However, much of all that has also now subsequently gone with just the large holder left (being grade II listed) and the district offices and former medical centre near the entrance.

DSC_0322red.jpg

There's still a lot to do including structure details and ground cover scenics like asphalt roads, paving, gravelled areas, boundary fencing and just a smidge of grass. Making the gas appliances (cookers, fires, refrigerators, unit heaters, etc) to go in the display windows of the gas showroom is likely to prove tricky, or at least fiddly. They'll be tiny.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
It's a nice collection of buildings.

It is the attention to the details which makes the difference such as the odd shaped buildings, mixture of building periods and materials, transformer, sub-station shed and portakabin which set the scene.

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the feedback and compliments.

I've now made some gas appliances; three fires (one in a surround, a LFE and and radiant type) and five free-standing cookers (three with eye-level grills and two 'slide-ins'). Also a display backscene inside the showroom with boxes on to represent more fires and surrounds and SWHs, multipoints and unit heaters. I do also need some window display posters ('fire sale', etc.,) produced and added. They appliances are now fixed inside but the showroom itself is not yet fixed down. They'll probably be difficult to see on the layout but I know they are there.

DSC_0345red.jpg

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
You need some advertising stuff to go with appliances, Grahame. Quirky flat cut outs of ladies pointing out the delights of a hob, or maybe I’m getting carried away a bit... I have some etched flat figures that might suit.

Tim

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
I thought about having a figure outside gazing in through the windows. They never had many customers inside and consequently were one of the worst sales performing showrooms in the region. Most people went in to complain about broken appointments and non-working equipment, no gas because their prepayment meter was full and so on . . .

Last edited:

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Here's my Christmas period N/2mm modelling effort - a small row of shops. Obviously not finished - I need make and add appropriate window displays and signage to the yellow one (as a newsagents) and the brown end one as an old radio and radio spares shop. I recall it was once stocked with old large dusty brown box radios. And Blue Flame is a nod to a project name for a product I was developing and working on many years ago:

DSC_0419red.jpg

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Many thanks for the offer. They look great.
Although maybe not for the recent row of shops model, I have plenty of other shops, that need detailing, that would benefit from a Hovis Sign.

I've sent a separate message with address details.

G

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Lovely models Grahame, may I ask if you could post some "old" views of your first layout I think you called it Hedge Lane, the compact south London diorama based layout please? A strange request but I only saw it once at a very busy exhibition but can remember it was very impressive. Helps us in lockdown!!
Thanks
Julian

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
My previous layout was 'Stoney Lane Depot' and before that 'Hedges Hill Cutting' - both urban and N gauge. I do have some pics of both I can post and will make the effort once back on the laptop where they are stored.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
It was definitely Hedges Hill Cutting Grahame. I will surf the net for exhibitions there maybe some there too. Did it appear in any mags?
Thanks

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
HHC did appear in a couple of mags (although I can't remember which and when). I sold the layout and it still exists with the club who bought it still taking it to shows (before the pandemic). It was built in the late 80s/early 90s so is quite old and a little crude and rough. Hopefully my model making has improved since then. Nonetheless, here's some of my pics, I hope you enjoy them:

CLASS 33.jpg

100_0063.JPG

100_0070.JPG

GH HHC blue73 0100[1].jpg

HHC Two 2 car EMUs .jpg

Brewery and back gardens.jpg
101_0190.JPG

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Thank you Grahame for these, I know you are self critical of the standards but the concept of HHC is still very good. A mainline running through a London(?) suburb cutting. Just watching the trains passing by.
It appears to be on one board what size was this?
Julian