Garden wildlife

Simon

Flying Squad
For all us budding Bill Oddies and Kate Whatshernames?

Whatever, I can't resist sharing a shot of this "other toad" that I found in the pond today and helped out with some stone steps...

[attachment=0:1s57ko9l]AA20.jpg[/attachment:1s57ko9l]

Attachments

• AA20.jpg
    AA20.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 196

Simon

Flying Squad
Spotted in the pond, obviously waiting to see a train go past :lol:

[attachment=0:20ncjd4r]Frog.jpg[/attachment:20ncjd4r]

Attachments

• Frog.jpg
    Frog.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Frog.jpg
    Frog.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 146

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
Maybe hes a ribbet counter ? :laugh: :laugh:
That would explain why there are non in my garden :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ........but one was spotted in the garage the other day, so maybe my bodging is improving :eek: :laugh:

G

Graham Powell

Hi all, I was running trains in the garden when my B17 suddenly derailed and half the of the coaches behind it.
I rushed across to see what was wrong only to find a poor old frog lying across the live rails twitching away as though he was sat in "old Sparky". I flicked him off and he went on his way with a slightly groggy motion. Well, you'd feel groggy if you 'd been smacked in the head by 4lbs of B17 plus about 10lbs of coaches doing about 65 and then got electrocuted as well.....its a wonder he survived to tell the tale. Adds a new perspective to the term "live frogs".
rgds
Graham Powell

G

Graham Powell

Hi CME, Stock not seriously damaged. I keep telling people stock for garden railways needs to be very robust! This is a case in point.
Last time I ran it,all was going fine so I disappeared into the workshop. Suddenly, no trains. Two coaches had come uncoupled from one train which ( as the line is a tail chaser) was smacked up the back by the engine and coaches.
They derailed into the path of an oncoming train. It was like Harrow and Wealdstone in miniature.
In actual fact disaster like that are mercifully fairly rare though tend to be spectacular when they do happen....
When I was running it with the kids one night we had a suicidal frog who stayed in the four foot and just jumped clear of an approaching class 33 diese. The kids thought it was great!. Vandals.
regards
Graham Powell

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
the only wild things I have in the garden are kids and me when 'er indoors wont let me play

Ian

G

Graham Powell

Hi CME, My railway is 14 inches above ground level with the sides banked up with grass so something coming right off is not too serious.Having had a garden railway in one form or another now for over 30 years, you cannot beat robustly built stuff. I make the engines out of 15thou nickel silver with brass or steel frames. LIMA coaches or scratchbuilt ones out of card. I have to carry it in an dout all the time and I got more damage from that than the running.
Not exactly an animal story but I did have an engine disappear one day. When I looked it was over the far side of the garden.
All wheels going round but just not moving. It was jacked up on a small apple. Another garden railway hazard along with snail slime which is wonderful insulator!.
rgds
Graham Powell :thumbs:

nascar24

Couple of corny jokes for you!!,

Q. How does a frog feel when he has broken his leg
A. Unhoppy!! :bowdown:

Or,

Q. What kind of shoes do frogs wear?
A. Open toad sandals :lol:

Al

Ian G

Western Thunderer