Fitting a Digital Readout to my Sieg SX1LP Mini Mill

adrian

Flying Squad
As I said each to their own
An inch in 7mm (fine scale or S7 ) is 0.5833 mm and you can do the feet and inches sums in your head so for example 1’2-and a half” is 14-and-a-half is 29 halves so type 29 * .5833 / 2 and so on.
I'm not sure why you're making it so complicated. ;) Even easier using QCAD where you can just type out the "equation" as fractions of an inch when you enter a dimension so to use your example this will work in QCAD type 1' 2 1/2" * 7/12
Can’t be doing with fractional inches, 23/64” anyone?
Again it's simply what you are use to, I see that and think it's 1/64 less than 24/64, 24 is divisible by 8 so if you had to mark out 23/64" it is quite simply 1/64 less than 3/8" and my ruler has a graduation line for that, whereas the metric rule doesn't have a graduation mark for 9.128 mm. It's just very useful to be able to switch from one to the other as the situation dictates.

simond

Western Thunderer
As I said each to their own

I'm not sure why you're making it so complicated. ;) Even easier using QCAD where you can just type out the "equation" as fractions of an inch when you enter a dimension so to use your example this will work in QCAD type 1' 2 1/2" * 7/12

Again it's simply what you are use to, I see that and think it's 1/64 less than 24/64, 24 is divisible by 8 so if you had to mark out 23/64" it is quite simply 1/64 less than 3/8" and my ruler has a graduation line for that, whereas the metric rule doesn't have a graduation mark for 9.128 mm. It's just very useful to be able to switch from one to the other as the situation dictates.
Yes, can do similar in SW, though I’ve not tried typing feet and inches.

I just have the number in my head and it’s a way of working that’s easy for me.

and yes, I’m old enough to remember furlongs and fathoms, poles and pecks. And I still avoid them!