Down from the Stone Quarry (or something.....!) 16mm dead steam

Giles

Western Thunderer
As Tim W. surmised, the little layout necessary to accommodate the Hunslet really needs to be stone quarry based - so here we are. The old antique of a loco bumbling though to a tipping point with only two remaining wagons, we think it was probably dropping into a stone crusher, but couldn't quite see...

A 6' x 2'8" has been knocked up in remedial woodwork, and Kingspan foam left over from building work six years ago has been pulled in from outside where it was lovingly stored in order to keep the weight down.
The Bridge, which must remain light has a face based on upvc fascia, which will be entirely covered with individual foam stones, which will of course be prettified. The bit of road-bed behind also has a foam core in order to keep the ensemble as light as is viable.

I have one point temporarily fitted with its point motor installed underneath I have removed the supplied spring, and am using my own printed motors, which have the slider part permanently fitted (in this instance) and the motor and electrics clip on with a locking pin. They are slow action, self-locking, with position indicator. At the moment I may not wire the thing for 2 rail operation, as its due at an October exhibition but we will see....

53524068192_c95112a32c_b.jpg

A second point ready to trial fit to the base board upside-down with the point motor on view. They will be wired up before fitting.

53525399580_a52ef35bf0_b.jpg

A photo of the mess.

53525140883_356b1b165e_b.jpg

Last edited:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
A 6' x 2'8" has been knocked up in remedial woodwork, and Kingsland foam left over from building work six years ago has been pulled in from outside where it was lovingly stored in order to keep the weight down.
Remedial woodwork?
I've spent some time on the Naughty Step and never once been offered Remedial Woodwork classes - or any other rehabilitation classes.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Track is there, and I shall bond it down this afternoon. The points have motors fitted, pre-wired and tested, so wiring-wise, they just need ganging up together, and a very simple board making with four push-to-make buttons and 8 LEDs if I want position indicators.

The points and track are by Cliff Barker, and is good stuff, although I dare say it will be unrecognisable by the time I've messed it about.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Pointmotors are wired and working, track is painted - though the rail not cleaned off.

I've used my own printed pointmotors which are based on N20 gearmotors and a printed cam with microswitches. This means that there is a single push button to change the position of the point, rather than two switches to select which position you want. LEDs on the panel show the positions.

The panel is done and wired up, but the motors aren't wired to it yet.

Giles

Western Thunderer
The basic scenery has been formed of foam, carved, scrimmed and gained a coat of plaster/PVA mix which is now drying. There will be some rock added to the rise by the bridge

The all-important magnet for uncoupling, positioned to allow reliable coupling on the curve at the other end!

The point motors work fine. They are printed in PLA, with N20 gearmotors doing the work, and a simple single push-to-make switch changes the direction of the point, with LED indicators showing the route selected on the panel

Giles

Western Thunderer
Modelu, of course (a fireman). I have noticed that in the last few years they are printed with less definition than the earlier ones (greater layer height I suspect) which does show up in some details such as hands, ties etc.... I can't say I blame them as it doubles or triples productivity, but it would be nice to have the option of paying more for 'HD' models, perhaps.....

Giles

Western Thunderer
Hi Julian,

I can't claim this one! It's a Slaters 16mm quarry Hunslet kit which Di gave me for my birthday a few years ago, but I've only just got round to building. It's an extremely good kit, albeit with slightly dodgy instructions. I fitted it with an N30 gearmotor from Ebay rather than the supplied motor to a) keep the overall speed down and b) run it off 3.7v rather than 12v, as its radio controlled. I also fitted it with an ultrasonic mist unit to provide steam, having drilled out the chimney.

Being used to 7mm, its certainly a bit different in its techniques which I find refreshing, and I'm pleasantly surprised that it's even possible to anything at all on a 6ft board!

Giles

Western Thunderer
Grass is starting to appear - but it's going to be a massive job, as there is no way even my boosted grass-master can give me anything like the density I want with the long fibre (mix) I'm using (4mm, 6.5mm 12mm and random cut 12 - 30mm horse-hair. A small palm full is taken and rolled into a sort of cylinder, the end pulled off, and the remaining flattened end pushed into the pre-glued surface and torn off - rinse and repeat. It takes a very long time and uses LOADS of fibres. When the glues has dried I then hoover 80% back off and reuse it....

53575112636_7330e5ce0b_b.jpg 1709915914718.gif

53575113756_2e41896814_b.jpg 1709915914762.gif