7mm Corwen Road

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
Paul

do you have a reference for the book, please? I too hav3 one of Warren’s in the stash.

(this may be a daft question if the answer is “GW Moguls by David Andrews” :) )

Merry Christmas
Simon
I too have the book and it's not in France ISBN 0-9-7036-09-0 5399 Withdrawn at Croes Newydd, 5369 Withdrawn at Pontypool Road, 5369 started out at Chester.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Here is the 43xx database. I hope it’s self explanatory!
Thanks for that Paul. The 43xx's were regulars over the Cambrian coast line and the Dee Valley line, but not the Cambrian mainline. My branch is Cambrian, so may have to dream up an excuse for a GWR Mogul.

To save me removing all the worng screws, can anyone advise how to remove the loco body from the chassis? :)

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
One of the Croes Newydd 2-6-0s had unique characteristics, it is featured in the book at the end of a chapter. The database, by the way, was compiled before I bought my copy of the book.

Larry, I believe you are right about the class not working the Cambrian main line. Mind you, the Ivatt 46400 class were everywhere from Whitchurch to Welshpool and the branches during my timeframe. It was the Manors that dominated the heavier trains. They were happy days!

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I am not altering the 2-6-0 except for a respray now. I thought the job might make a stocking filler but I am fast running out of 'Xmas' hols.

This weighbridge hut was started as a quickie, but with no instructions, several dry runs were needed. I may have glued the windows on the wrong sides...
WEB Weighbridge 12.jpg

Five minutes of struggling to get pegs in holes in the roof led me to abandon the idea and simply use four roof struts to connect the roof together...
WEB Weighbridge 13.jpg

The gap at the top was filled with PVA wood glue and strips of wood that were later filed to match the roof contour. The roof is removable...
WEB Weighbridge 14.jpg

With the door, chimney and window frames set aside to be sprayed separately, this is as far as the kit goes. I will fit gutters and drainpipes from Plastikard...
WEB Weighbridge 15.jpg WEB Weighbridge 16.jpg

Last edited:

PhilH

Western Thunderer

1118B.jpg
43xxs were occasionally used on the Cambrian mainline as in October 1962 I photographed 7329 near Oswestry on a Whitchurch train, rather a blurry view I'm afraid.

1113B.jpg
1432 and 1458 were regular performers on the Wrexham - Ellesmere line until its closure in
September 1962 and 1432 is pictured at Oswestry Shed in October.

1120BB.jpg
I travelled on the Gobowen - Oswestry auto train several times but only photographed it once, another rather blurry view near Oswestry. I recorded the loco as 1438, but its not clear from the photo and it might be a mistake for 1458.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Phil

I think the last photo would be 1458, one clue, no top feed.

And 7329 could even have a blurry (!) 89A shed code.

When I was in Oswestry we referred to the Autotrain as the Gobowen Rattler. Up the road in Snow Hill there was the Dudley Dodger, the 14xx or 64xx often seen in the middle of 2, 3 or even 4 coaches during busy times of day.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks for posting Phil. I think they are pretty damn good shots. They convey speed and you got the focal point of the picture pin sharp. Wasn't the top speed on your camera 1/50th Sec?

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Thanks for posting Phil. I think they are pretty damn good shots. They convey speed and you got the focal point of the picture pin sharp. Wasn't the top speed on your camera 1/50th Sec?

It was fixed at only 1/60th sec Larry, and you had to try and remember to get the subject in the top right hand corner of the viewfinder to get it anywhere near the centre of the negative, which with anything moving I usually failed to do. Just for comparison (and amusement !!) below are the original scans from the full negs.

11.jpg

Its nice to get the train in the scenery but sometimes there's a bit too much bl**dy scenery. In the left hand one maybe I was just photographing the farm crossing and the train came in the photo by accident ???? :), in the right hand one if the train had been nearer there would probably have been a power pole sticking out of the chimney ! - bad location :(. Hopefully my photography has improved a bit since then, mind you they were taken nearly 60 years ago when I were nowt but a lad !

Just for good measure a couple more 43xx's:-

3.32BB.jpg
6333 on a southbound train at Portmadoc in 1960​

9A.29BB.jpg
6330 on a goods at Fawley, south of Hereford in August 1962​

Possibly a rare case of a badly placed subject working reasonably well as the details of the station building are probably as interesting as the train itself.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Lovely pictures with plenty of atmosphere especially at Portmadoc. A shame Heljan did not produce the more numerous 42xx's in the 53xx/63xx range. I just don't like the elongated middle splasher on the early locos.

The shot below is a lovely image. You captured the white exhaust on the negative and it actually conforms to the rule of thirds with the train in one third and the large tree in the other...
WEB 14xx 2.jpg

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
For what it is worth, I much prefer a picture where the train is not quite in the shot...
It gives the image more of a sense of purpose, like the train is going from somewhere to somewhere else as opposed to just a portrait.

For those of us of a more latter day Cornish bent John Vaughan was exceptional at catching that Day in the Life feel

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Warren Shephard’s kit caters to all versions of the Churchward 2-6-0 (as I will refer to it from now on!) including the cab side window version.

I think there must be a policy to produce an early version of a class so that they can be turned out in a full range of liveries. A good example of this is the Dapol autocoach. Is this also why the Modified Hall has been neglected?

Going back to my days copping numbers in the late 1950s I have only recently understood why I enjoyed both New Street and Tamworth so much. They were a great contrast, high speed with 12 on at Tamwoth Low Level (lowly 4Fs trundling across the MR overbridge with an unfitted freight to complete the picture) compared to simmering Black 5s waiting on Platform 3 with an Up express to Euston, then slowly moving forward in a cloud of smoke and steam into the Worcester Street Tunnel. It’s no surprise that I now have framed prints by Philip Hawkins of both scenes hanging on the non-scenic wall in the Railway Room. Hawkings has not only captured the atmosphere of each, he even used locomotives that appeal to my best memories, Polyphemus and the King’s Regiment Liverpool. Truly one of the best railway artists.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Phil Hawkins and I were in the same railway photographic folios so in those days I only knew him as a very good photographer. He is the tops in railway artists along with Eric Bottomley; I have one of Eric's 'Castle' paintings over the fireplace.

I think that going for the earliest version of a prototype in order to cover the widest period needs to be balanced against the most popular modelling periods. Dapol's choice of an early panelled Auto Trailer is an example. They had gone by 1957 thus leaving it out of the late 1950's 1960's era, one of the most modelled periods. It always seems to be the early liveries that are left on the shelves.

The Churchward 4300 locos only represented a small proportion of the whole class. That a handful lasted until 1961 was pretty good going considering their age. However, the 53xx and 63xx represented the largest numbers in the class and were virtually identical. They would have represented the 1921 to final withdrawal period and would have given modellers a far wider choice of running numbers.

Modelling-wise, the roof of the weighbridge hut was slated this morning and a patch of lead flashing added in readiness for the chimney stack, which will be painted separately...
WEB Weighbridge 19.jpg

I bought a Pooley weighbridge, but a second variant also arrived cast by a foundry in Hollinwood on the Oldham-Failsworth boundary. I am tempted to use this one seeing as I was schooled and worked in Oldham....
WEB Weighbridge 19B.jpg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Looking again at Phil’s photo of Portmadoc there appears to be only a single track against the platform. I don’t have any reference books with me so I am guessing that the Down track was removed and then replaced with the current passing loop?

Or is my memory playing tricks?

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Looking again at Phil’s photo of Portmadoc there appears to be only a single track against the platform. I don’t have any reference books with me so I am guessing that the Down track was removed and then replaced with the current passing loop?

I'm afraid it's the old memory Paul. The loco shed had gone by 1962-ish, but most of the tracks still remained on my final visit in summer 1964...
WEB Portmadoc 1964.jpg

Last edited:

PhilH

Western Thunderer

Paul, the Portmadoc photo was taken from the down platform and its in the left foreground, with the down loop hidden below the platform edge. The following photo was taken on the same day - a rather wet one it seems !

3.30BB.jpg
2214 is approaching on a short southbound goods with a northbound goods standing in the down loop. The loco shed is in the distance, just off the end of the up platform.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Goods trains always seemed few on my visits, but you got two in one picture. Well done. Probably daily goods on the down and maybe a gunpowder special on the up. Lovely scene.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Slow progress in cold weather and now I've no matt white for cement courses. Some pictures show similar huts had dark gray mortar....
WEB Weighbridge 19C.jpg
Incidentally, after assembling the building as a dry-run, I was loath to disassemble it. So Loctite was rubbed in some places and PVA glue in others (inside and underneath), hence no glue on the outside. I can assure everyone it is as strong as a brick sh' house.

Last edited: