Class 25 cabs

28ten

Guv'nor
Im no expert on this subject but I know some of you are rather partial to 25's and you may be able to point me in the right direction  :)
I have a JLTRT kit in front of me and the cab looks like this http://www.justliketherealthing.co.uk/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=21
and I want this http://www.class25.info/photograph_pages/individual_photos/721028_25224_Laira.htm    or a better shot a year earlier http://www.derbysulzers.com/7574prestonbw.jpg
The question is simple, the headcode box and the way it joins the cab roof is different between the kit and D7475 is this a known variation? I have been through the Derby Sulzers cab page and become thoroughly confused  :))
Any help appreciated  8)

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Cynric, sorry mate cant help with this one 25's are'nt my fortay im into HYDRAULICS :)) Especially WESTERNS :drool: :drool: but you already knew that ;) :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

Neil

Western Thunderer
I had it told to me that it was a Derby vs Darlington feature, however there are photos of two Darlington built 25s on opposite pages of Diesels in Depth 24/25 with the two different style of wings from the headcode box top to the roof dome (pages 22 and 23). I'll hazard a guess that build date may have more to do with the difference in style; so far as my quick scan of photos goes the later 25s without the connecting doors and with the grilles at cantrail level (later 25/2 and 25/3) all seem to have the shorter wings that blend in to the dome half way down. There seems to be a mix of styles within the early 25/2 sub class (connecting doors, bodyside grilles) which may indicate transition from one style to another during this period of construction. Be warned I've not trawled for photos of early build 25s to check this assumption out yet. Usual advice re. prototype  photos pertains, but no your eyes haven't deceived you and yes there are two different styles going on.

28ten

Guv'nor
Thanks Neil, I have the diesels in depth book and I have been looking through that. essentially I am looking at a pretty small number that were used on the WR in '71-'72 so I may have to look at different locos and will email JLTRT to see if they do two versions of the cab. Damn confusing to someone as ignorant as me  :))

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I've got fond memories of the 'Rats' working the lower end of the WCML in what must have been the early eighties I guess.  About the only reason I'd ever have for owning a model blue diesel...

Steph

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Cynric you have a very big problem the class 24/25's had bolt on cabs added after the initial construction of the body of the locomotive. when a locomotive went to works to have remedial bodywork carried out on a cab sometimes it was quicker to remove the offending cab and replace it with another taken from another locomotive which has been through works before it or been scrapped. There have been many instances where the 2 cabs on the locomotives are not the same some having a head code box at 1 end and none at the other differing styles of horn shrouds attached to the boxes no horn shrouds no boxes period the early 25's (the first 25 i think) had a skirt fitted as per the 24's. 8 grills on the body side on some of them 7 on the others frost grills with 4 slots in them and some with 5

It's a bleedin' mine field you would be better to go to one of the preserved railways where there is a preserved ex western region 25 and model that as it is now or do a lot of digging at one specific time in a locomotives life, I know I have 2 to do

Ian

28ten

Guv'nor
Ian, im digging! :)) I actually have a few shots and really it all hinges on the availability of the 'other' cab type. but yes it really is a minefield which I have unknowingly walked into  :headbang:
Bolt on cabs?? hadnt the LMR ever heard of stressed skin construction?  :)) :))

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
in many ways it was before it's time I have pictures of cab less 25'sat derby it seems the yanks have done it for years when I next see you I will let you peruse the information I have

Ian

28ten

Guv'nor
I have spoken to Laurie and it's not a variation that do, and like Neil suggested it was different works and their interpretation of the drawings. So I need to find a suitable WR candidate that matches the kit.  Unfortunately with fotopic borked several handy sources ate unavailable.