Bow Creek Wharf. c.1946. S7

BG Rich

Col,
Apologies for intruding on your magnum opus, but I saw a drawing by James McNeill Whistler in "Victoria's Heyday" by J B Priestly (Heinemann, London 1972) which showed Black Lion Wharf, Wapping, with a mass of interesting buildings and lighters. The name was close enough to your 'Bow Creek Wharf' to ring a bell. I realise that his drawing was from 1859 and your layout will be set much later but thought it might be of interest. You probably could Google 'Whistler' and may find his drawing. I bought the book in a charity shop some time ago and in the way of things was looking for something else when I came across the drawing. Perhaps it may be of use when you come to create the buildings? I look forward to seeing further progress.
Best wishes
Rich

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Col,
Apologies for intruding on your magnum opus, ..............

No need for apologies Rich, and thanks for posting this, great stuff ! I was aware of Black Lion Wharf but had not yet searched for info.
But this is just the sort of drawing that I like for research and inspiration when there is a lack of photographic record.

Although the period I am modelling is at the end of WW2 '45-'46. these older records of what was there can be somewhat bought forward by 40 odd years with a bit of imagination and modellers license.

Has anyone spotted the spelling mistake in Whistler's drawing? :)

Mike

Yes, Blac- Lion on the wharf building :D

Col.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Back in the 70's there was a take-away near Chalkwell Park called ...'The FU-KING Chinese take away', I kid you not!, we were always tempted to fill in the missing letters :D. I believe it still is there but with a different name.

Col

simond

Western Thunderer
Theres a local white goods supplier by the name of “Fullick”. He had to be a bit careful about not leaving the van’s sliding door half open.

Last edited:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I've collected lots of drawings, pictures and photo's for my research on 'Bow Creek ', a couple of my favourites are these coloured prints , didn't record details of origin :rolleyes:.

New-Crane-Stairs-8.jpg Thames side buildings.jpg
The first one is a little crude but gives the flavour I'm looking for, and the second really shows what I will try and achieve in model form for the populated area, albeit brought forward a couple of decades .
Col.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Well after a not too few years I have finally drawn up a definitive plan for Bow Creek Wharf , Station and Exchange Sidings.
I filled a couple of box files with doodles and sketches and probably thrown as much in the bin.
With the building to house it finished it has given me room to expand the original idea, which was initially designed to fit within 33 sq. feet, the Wharf that is, not the rest of it :D:)).

View attachment 124748

There is a scale on the drawing in metric but to give an idea of size the drawn border is 31' -0" x 17'-6" in old money.
If your thinking the curves and p&c work look tight on the wharf they are as was the real track in these type of yards. The wharf is very loosely based on that which existed at the Pepper Warehouses on the R.Lee ( Bow Creek ), the real Bow Creek Wharf was back down by the mouth of the river where it flowed into the R.Thames, I've just nicked the name :D.

The wharf is supposedly an LNER ( ex GER) depot, the era being post ww2 so '46-'47 but pre-BR. Having said that I could have some very early B.R. stock and have an alternate era as it were.
The wharf was an import dock mainly with some export and the 30 ton crane will be based on the Fairbairn crane that was used at Devonshire Goods Depot on the Regents Canal for heavy and large loads. There will be a smaller crane and weigh bridge the positions of which are yet to be decided.
The bridge over the creek still exists and will be used as a basis for the model, in the early days it was originally a swing bridge and I'm tempted by that to model it as such.
View attachment 124749
The station layout is based on Blackwall, not the building, with a single road into the platform and a bay with loading dock on the opposite of the track. The run round loop is out in the station throat. I've not yet decided on a prototype for the station building.
The loco shed is based on that which was at Bethnal Green, Spitalfields coal depot.

The signal box is Stratford Southern Jct. which was elevated over a siding originally.
View attachment 124751

I've shown this as sitting over a P.W siding which spurs off the goods loop which in turn runs to an off scene dock area( East India) The goods loop once it disappears behind the road bridge ( Station Rd.) also branches off to continue round to the storage roads underneath the wharf, the idea of this is to provide a continues circuit for testing. The storage roads in turn feed the main line on a rising gradient and into the station throat and exchange yard jct. The whole layout worked as out and back.

The yard it's self is much self explanatory worked by a resident J tank and the Hill Y4 0-4-0 or 'Coffee Pot ' Y5 serving the wharf as it is restricted to 0-4-0 locos, the BoT having a field day because there's no skirts on the Y4 ! for running down Boat St.
View attachment 124750
Incoming and out going freight will be handled by J tanks, J15-17,19's etc. But knowing the ex GER you could find any of them on anything. A J15 once took over from a pacific at Hitchin on a south bound express into Kings Cross and didn't loose that much time !

Passenger trains, three coach rake with loco's ( F5-6 or occasional J67-8,9 covering) either pushing stock out to run round or another loco waiting in the loop to take it back out. These trains are assumed to connect with Fenchurch St. and Stratford and beyond, for example Ilford and Palace Gates.
But first it will be baseboard building, don't hold yer breath :D

Col.

I'm late to the party as ever Col, but that's a great plan you've developed. Masses of potential for period and local character.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Glad I got something right today!

My family were from the East End, somewhere off the Mile End Road, but moved in the 1930s (I guess) to the wilds of Rayners Lane. My grandmother was a real East Ender. Father was brilliant at taking us around the haunts of his childhood. I knew Docklands very well (remember them working and a coaster moored where County Hall is now, and later that area became an urban wildlife park) and took my family there a few times as Steph will remember. All closed down it was very atmospheric and I took a few photos at the time. A bit too blingy for me now, but much better to use the old buildings than knock them down.

So, I guess I'm a Cockney, once removed.

I keep doing this, but apologies for the diversion.

Brian

2-Bil

Western Thunderer
CD.......Londons Lost Riverscape-Chris Ellmers/Alex Werner Guild Publishing 1988.Photos taken by the PLA in 1937 of both banks of the river from London Bridge to Greenwich .........It might be of use if its not on your shelf already.......As for the Prospect of Whitby it was an interesting place to get spliced in in the early 70s ......before it was "tidied up".....................Regards etc BrianW

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Glad I got something right today!

My family were from the East End, somewhere off the Mile End Road, but moved in the 1930s (I guess) to the wilds of Rayners Lane. My grandmother was a real East Ender. Father was brilliant at taking us around the haunts of his childhood. I knew Docklands very well (remember them working and a coaster moored where County Hall is now, and later that area became an urban wildlife park) and took my family there a few times as Steph will remember. All closed down it was very atmospheric and I took a few photos at the time. A bit too blingy for me now, but much better to use the old buildings than knock them down.

So, I guess I'm a Cockney, once removed.

I keep doing this, but apologies for the diversion.

Brian
Don't apologise Brian I find it all interesting .
My family too were from the East End. Grandfather was a Cockney having been born ' within the sound of St. Mary-Le-Bow church bells.
In the '20's when he took over the Family firm they had a yard and workshops in Iceland road which bordered the R. Lea ( Bow Creek) and looked over to Stratford 30A depot. According to my Father they had deliveries of timber and bricks by barge.
So you can see where my interest in Bow Creek comes from.......there will be a builders yard and workshop on the layout. :D

Col.

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Isn't it strange how things converge, Col?

I know my paternal grandmother was a Cockney. As they didn't move out of the East End until my dad was very young I'll guess he was as well. He never said and now I can't ask.

Brian