Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Quote: There was a handy panel missing in the concrete fence.....

As when Nobby Hughes and I dug under the cast iron railings at the back of Crewe North to gain entry in the late 1950s. That was the first time I "copped" 46235 City of Birmingham. Priceless memories!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I should add that the canal north from Wolverhampton Low Level was how you gained access to Stafford Road Shed. It's been gentrified since then!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The Finney7 47XX kit (plus Collett 4000 gallon tender kit) arrived today. Now I have ordered the wheel set from Slaters. A quick review of the instructions suggests there is nothing new to be learned from building other similar kits. However, my limited toolset is going to be a bit of a problem! One possible solution will be to start on the sub-assemblies, such as the coupling rods, pony truck, cylinders, etc. I am currently reluctant to start on the frames etc. without the right jigs, all of which are a long way away in space and time.

By the way, the railway room is still there! A villager friend was able to check out the property and most importantly tun off the underfloor heating which I left on to keep the house from getting too cold during the winter months.

As to the two coach kits, they are progressing very slowly because of the fine weather we have been enjoying in Hampshire. Today I was able to source some strawberry plants at the local farm shop - something we have not had the opportunity to grow before. A local nursery also dropped 6 plants off on our doorstep with the suggestion to donate "something" to keep their business going. I probably overpaid, but then why not!

The coaches will get some attention this weekend, rain is forecast!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The wheels for the 47XX build arrived from Slaters today. I thought I had also ordered springs for the Haywood coach bogies but I now think they are being sourced from someone else (too many on line orders going out to keep up with!). Now, if only we had some English weather! I spent most of the day tending to the landlady's garden. She should be pleased.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Some of you will know of my alter ego, a classic/vintage car enthusiast. With Lockdown in progress I am somewhat frustrated by not being able to view two cars which are reserved for me to view, test drive and buy (one, both or (unlikely) none of them). The newcomer on the scene is a delightful 1935 Riley Kestrel 9 and I rather think this will win my affection more than the post war RME 1-1/2 litre. We'll see.

I am planning a trip when it is allowed but last week there was a dampener on the local BBC news. Apparently Dorset Police have noted an increase in traffic and have started to pull over cars that they might consider to be breaking the guidelines. One example given of a "poor" reason was that the driver was going to view a vintage car. I kid you not! This lockdown would be perfect for getting under a new purchase to find out what needs to be done to make the car roadworthy once the "new normal" arrives.

As it is I am also reluctant not to enjoy the fair weather we are experiencing, so railway modelling has also been neglected while I wait on supplies and tools to be delivered. This could change in the week ahead as cooler, wetter weather has been forecast.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Yes we have 4 banana vans! Finally the Dapol order arrived with 3 Fyffes and 1 Geest van. More street goods station had special warehouses for bananas so this is a most appropriate addition to the layout.

6500ED72-E7E9-4568-A4FC-B30FDD30554F.jpeg

The banana vans probably arrived from Barry Docks but not necessarily at night. My copy of the book on the history of Moor Street is in France and I feel sure there is something there to help. Meantime good old warwickshirerailways.com has some pictorial record of the tarantula infested warehouse. (Just joking!)

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Four months on from the last post and France is in sight. Well, we are not on the ferry yet but so far the two governments are refraining from a complete shut down of entente cordiale. So, some thoughts on the future of Moor Street.

Yes, it will continue to exist as a layout and will continue to occupy the Railway Room.

But the model building of locos, coaches and wagons may no longer be in France. We are likely to be spending more time in the new home near Winchester and that would be the better place to complete the many kits I have started but not finished. Model making will compete with car restoration but each pastime has its own space and environment. Snowing in Hampshire - do I really want to crawl under a 1935 Riley in an unheated garage? No!

At the bottom of the garden there is a "workshop"*. It's currently not very useful but it could be converted into a paint spray shop for both car body panels and Gauge O coaches, etc.

I started to build up a second set of tools for modelling during the lock down but the rental house really didn't suit modelling at all which is why I gave up. Moving in to a lovely but neglected single story house with character is taking time. Hence the lapse of 4 months.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel - or is it another train coming? I hope so!

* The estate agents love to define things they don't understand!

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul, Glad your going to get settelled and not to far from the coast, we're about 3 miles inland from Pompey, and I can recomend the climate, haha.

All the very best for both here and France.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I noticed today that the "workshop" is actually named, with a plaque, "tool shed". It even has a knocker with a spade, though why anyone would need to knock for entry is quite beyond me. Right now it is full of boxes of stripped ivy from just about everywhere in the garden which had been neglected for years.

Yes, Andy P, the weather is a great improvement though Winchester got hit hard by rain last Friday. 60% of the high street was flooded. Our garage proved to be a weak link with water flooding down from the road. Everything is OK now but we have been dogged by flooding before in Houston and Chipping Campden. In both cases it wasn't anything more than local government failing to clean drains. This time it appears to be drains on the property that were not maintained properly. Given the ivy infestation that is no real surprise!

Andy P

Western Thunderer
I noticed today that the "workshop" is actually named, with a plaque, "tool shed". It even has a knocker with a spade, though why anyone would need to knock for entry is quite beyond me. Right now it is full of boxes of stripped ivy from just about everywhere in the garden which had been neglected for years.

Yes, Andy P, the weather is a great improvement though Winchester got hit hard by rain last Friday. 60% of the high street was flooded. Our garage proved to be a weak link with water flooding down from the road. Everything is OK now but we have been dogged by flooding before in Houston and Chipping Campden. In both cases it wasn't anything more than local government failing to clean drains. This time it appears to be drains on the property that were not maintained properly. Given the ivy infestation that is no real surprise!

Sorry to read about the flooding Paul, Dig a Moat, haha.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
First visit to the Railway Room in 9 months. Ran a Heljan large prairie round the main line with four coaches in tow. Not a stutter, not a break in electrical connection between wheels and track. Did it again and again. 9 months of potential corrosion totally absent. Ran another train through the station throat. Again no problems.

Is it the lack of maintenance or lack of humidity? Does it matter?

Unpacked the banana vans, one axle loose in the box, soon rectified.

69EF1970-8152-4CAA-819C-B5ADBF933C89.jpeg

Next, started to remember where I left off last December. The extra goods station road appears to have been laid out and a check on the last postings of 2019 proves that to be correct. So that will be the next job.

I also collected all the started but not complete kits and threw them away. No, just joking! They will be going back to England along with many of the model making tools. This is the “new normal” as far as I am concerned.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Did some ballasting yesterday but mainly sorted out the unmade kits. Strangely all the coach kit boxes have mould on them, nothing else does. Both Side Lines and Haywood. Very odd.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Some rather nice Indian Summer weather has curtailed activity, but normal service should resume by the end of the week. At 8 pm I am about to descend into the abyss of Moor Street to check on things. While on the beach today I caught up on some threads, particularly Mickoo’s. His 47xx looks great. Mine will too, eventually!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I made a start on the Goods Station siding on the down side of the passenger platforms. The original upper level building was large, with two interior sidings and a wide area for loading and unloading. I have room for one siding and an unloading platform, so the building will be a "cut away rendering" as might be used in a diorama. This has an obvious advantage for both the visuals and the need to uncouple vans and wagons in what would otherwise be a totally inaccessible space.

The pointwork for the sidings and headshunt will use a Y point because that is what I have. Surely this could often have been prototypical practice? If not, Rule 1 will apply.

The building will use brass strip, soldered into a frame on which plasticard galvanized sheeting will be applied. Similar to the now stored engine shed I built for Penmaenpool. This structure could hinder access to uncoupling passenger trains but will be short enough not to. Well, that's the theory.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
More progress on the Goods Station shed siding this evening, with track laid out:

4647492D-C26C-4966-AE46-31A019916B07.jpeg

1C8B577A-53A6-4A01-BA77-C3091498E940.jpeg

The track isn’t fixed in place yet as I am not sure about the Y point. Maybe this evening will see the siding completed.

The two brass strips represent the limits of the shed - 1 meter long - with room to couple and uncouple locos at either end of the adjacent platforms.

Arriving goods wagons will have come down from Bordesley, hauled by pannier into the release road. The pannier would then run round the wagons and move them into the headshunt (not yet in place) and then into the shed. Part of the shed road will have staging, the rest will be open with a small crane to offload from flats etc. A lot more operational interest will be possible.

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The Y point works but was in the wrong place! I have now moved it so that the passage through the points will be at larger radii, more important where shunting needs to be smooth. This means the head shunt is on a tighter radius but as only panniers will use it and there is no “S” curve this should be fine. One photo of the prototype shows a small diesel shutter at work so tight curves are certainly OK! Whether or not a small diesel shunted will exist on the layout is a bit of a reach for me!

One more photo after the Y was glued down. This only leaves the siding and head shunt to be fitted in place.

0B0D12EC-D0D1-44D7-8B42-B88B853594FC.jpeg

And a view of the station throat:

651F48BA-311A-4386-AB37-67658F49BA57.jpeg

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The track for the Down Goods Station representation is now laid but not yet wired. The two turnouts also have not been wired up with Tortoises. But the flavour of the much larger prototype yard should be in evidence once completed.

Sadly I cannot find my copy of the Moor Street Station book. It must be here somewhere but has not turned up. Fortunately Warwickshire Railways can always come to the rescue but details of the Good Station sheds are sparse. One very poor photo has the suggestion that goods platforms were covered in planking as I had suspected. Paving slabs may be good for passengers but wooden planks are much more forgiving for produce and products. So a small platform is being constructed with brick sided plinth and wooden plank top.

The structure that will cover this platform will have to be a lot smaller in every respect than the prototype. No overhead gantry crane, no room for the numerous vehicles taking on loads of goods (horse and carts in most photos but some motorized vehicles as well).

I may have also inadvertently covered the space where the water tank was to be located.

No photos this evening but stay tuned!