7mm Beware of the - Light - Brown Stuff!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

taliesin

Western Thunderer
I must admit i did not realise that you had already contacted them, in the future you have the option of voting with your feet, and wallet, and buying elsewhere but in this instance the result is somewhat less than satisfactory which is a shame, best regards, Rob

So why not just say so...? and you do seem to be still talking in riddles - otherwise why keep saying "OCEP"..??? Blimey we're all adults and can work it out!!!

Surely checking before buying is just plain common sense anyway?

Sorry but going on in multi-coloured, multi-size Fonts, with much use of bold is just getting a bit OTT in my opinion...

Hi Jordan,:)

I am not sure what you mean by talking in riddles (especially as the pseudonym OCEP was so crass [on my part] and deliberately so [also on my part] so that all whom have eyes to see can see)?

I am also not sure how I could have made the issues that I have encountered any clearer and that worries me.:confused:

I have used a pseudonym for the manufacturer because I cannot prove the fault/problem - other than provide the aforementioned anecdotal and empirical evidence herewith (as a point of note I am risk adverse when it comes to making public statements).

In all honesty and in a genuine vein, I would ask you, how many modellers do you know, especially when purchasing at/from a show, open a brand new box of flexi-track (from a reputable retailer and manufacturer) and check the contents of such? My guess is very few.

I wasnt aware that I was using multi-size fonts - is there a formating issue apparent that I am not aware of?

As you know Jordan, I am at the lower end of the spectrum, dyslexic, and I have had to, over many, many years learn to try and express myself - when writing - in the best way that I can, my apologies if this matter has not been written up in the way in which WT members, think is appropriate. I have done my best to help others in the only way in which I know how.

All I have tried to do is be helpful towards my fellow modellers, when I have encountered this problem (and have identified that other modellers, working in other scales, have discovered the same/similar with their RTP track). I cannot change the manufacturer's views/opinions/production/quality control etc. but I can help fellow WT members by asking - thruugh my writing here - them to beware (ie caveat emptor plus additional caution) - although the law states that subject matter experts (retailers/suppliers/manufacturers) should make allowances for non-experts (ie retail customers et al.).

It was not, and is not, my intention, to make a big issue out of this matter, but just to inform WT members, in a polite and honourable way, four square and true, of a potential problem with a key model-railway product (ie not every yard/box etc. just some/a batch).

When I was national senior buyer for the real stuff I gained a good reputation for treating suppliers/contractors/manufacturers et al very, very fairly (often going above and beyond) to be fair, yet judging by some of the comments here, it would almost appear, that some Posters are either directors of the company concerned (or that I have shot their respective grannies/run over their cat:)) - judging by their, what can be deemed as, 'acerbic' responses to my genuine comments).

If I had not flagged-up this problem with the track and then one of the WT members had then experienced problems after purchasing the product, then I would have felt awful about it (as I would have known of the problem prior yet would have said/done nothing about it). Yet this Thread, because of a minority, has left me feeling;- 'why, did, I struggle to write it up and Post such....'.

On a positive note, more track was laid last evening and all is well in terms of strength, flexibility etc. just as one would expect from this product.:);)

ATB

CME:)

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Well for what it's worth CME, I will certainly be watching out for the colour of Peco's sleeper base in future:eek:.......& thanks for the warning:)

I am very disappointed by how Peco's seem to have responded to you though, as I would have thought the simple & satisfactory solution to your problem would have been to ask you to return the track to your retailer or Peco direct in exchange for replacements:(

All the best

Phill:)

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Assuming that Peco don't want to play ball, maybe a letter stating the facts to one of the magazines might do the trick, I have long thought that some mags show the letters to the suppliers/manufacturers before publication, maybe they would choose to put things right rather than get adverse publicity. Should you not pursue this option I was wondering if it is possible to purchase the sleeper bases seperately? I realise this is something of a gritted teeth option but cheaper than replacing the whole lot, cheers Rob

Hi Phill & Rob:)

I think that it depends upon who you get to speak to down there on the sunny riviera, and I must say that I have received, by and large a good level of service from them, with, at times, a noted air of 'something' in the tone of voice. Others I have spoken to have experienced a spectrum of responses from them - depending on what was being asked of them. Dont forget they're in oligopolistic/monopolistic position and that can affect a company's outlook and attitudes (culture).....;)

Also, dont forget the product is now outside of it's 'one year warranty' and whilst it should last (stay fit for purpose) for a 'reasonable' length of time, what is 'reasonable' in this case? Also that batch of track was paid for, by me, with cash (so no help from a credit card company under the Consumer Credit Act et al.) and as a rule of thumb if a product is under £300.00, as this clearly is, then I am, basically, on my own (so to speak) outside of the warranty period. I am sure that the track if treated with care will be okay for sidings indoors, just no good/not worth the risk of laying outdoors...:)

Writing into one of the magazines? In theory a great idea and a way of keeping 'suppliers' in check through such 'leverage' (one would of thought). Yet I would use the Dapol wagon issue as an example. The main problem is that the manufacturer spends a lot of money advertising in various publications and the magazines may not receive such a letter of complaint well (and those that dont seem to have direct advertising spend/budget from the manufacturer no longer have a letters page). There are also those stories of editorial staff being told, if you write a negative review, about Dapol products then we will loose advertising revenue and you may loose your job. It is worth considering writing a letter and I will have a think on it.

Rob, yes I think that you are right, I could buy additional sleepers/bases, yet it may be more cost effective to buy more track (complete) if and when I need it.

As I have said before, in this 'recession' , it has been even harder to try and ascertain what is a VFM product and lots of goalposts have been moved by retailers, manufacturers and suppliers alike (in terms of price and quality) - we are certainly not in it all together and that is for sure (remember how to boil a frog, do it right and a happyish slave is created, and a happyish is a good slave;) ). There also seems to be more resistance on the issue of faulty goods, returns and refunds etc. by some of the more 'hard-nosed' (perhaps desperate/fearful) sellers et al. Having said such good levels of customer service do still exist.:thumbs:

I hope that covers it all now.:thumbs:

Kind regards,

CME:)

Status
Not open for further replies.