Aylesbury High Street

david bigcheeseplant

Western Thunderer
5obmg8.jpg

Geoff Williams iconic model of Aylesbury LNWR (High Street) station was acquired by the Risborough & District MRC and over the last few months have been coverting it to DCC in order that the layout can run, the original mass of wires were cut through when it was removed from Geoff Loft.

The idea is to conserve rather than to change or upgrade the model, as it ranks along Buckingham as a vintage model.

It is not planned to put the layout out for exhibitions but it will be at our local Risex show in Princes Risborough on 21st Feb this year and at Railex in Aylesbury in 2016.

David

iak63

Western Thunderer
Another classic lives on and jolly good to.
Any more pictures please Mon?
This was one of the first finescale layouts that really made me take notice - Whooooosh.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Always a superb layout, and just look at that wonderful curve in the track as it approaches the station. I remember the article in MRJ.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
I think my Dad would be very pleased that it has found a good home. He always said that it was built into the loft a bit too permanently and I remember nervously sawing through joists and doubling the size of the trap door to get it out! It then languished at my own house for several years until we found somebody interested and able to cope with a 34ft long x 8ft wide very heavy layout which was never portable in any way. It is not easy to find a good home for an old model railway and the Risborough club are to be applauded for taking it on.

Unfortunately on 21st Feb (its first public showing ever) I will be at another show - Gauge 3 Society annual exhibition at Biggleswade, WilliamsModels stand. But I will be at Railex 2026 - I will, I will! My two brothers and mother all hope to be a Risex.

Mike

david bigcheeseplant

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike, good to know you approve of the conservation, I remember seeing it in the first MRJ and being inspired by it then. You are welcome to pop over to the Risborough club any Friday or once a month on a Saturday but let us know you are coming,

We had trains running up and down last week and I know Tim Peacock and others have been working hard to ensure it runs well. It has been converted to DCC as I think the mass of wires were cut when it was removed from the loft home could not be reconnected and was much easier to get it working when starting a new, the points are worked off DCC, I understand the points were operated from a lever frame when it was built.

One question is how were train run round as there seems to be no run round loop maybe you can let us know how the station was operated.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Hi David,

The passenger train was backed out of the platform up the main line until clear of the points at the end of the platform beside the ground frame, which were thrown and the loco set forward onto the middle road between the screen and the end-loading, then back along the siding at the left of your heading picture (the land over the fence on the left was the LMS basket works) and up to the earth-filled bufferstops seen on the left, then onto the main line at t'other end of the train.

According to Guard George Thorne, that was the official method and had to be followed when an inspector was there. Unofficially, having backed out of the platform and the loco had been let onto the middle road, the carriages were sometimes run back into the platform by gravity and the loco then reversed out. It was quicker that way.

You will notice that the spur by the buffers on the left and also the very important spur to the right of the crossing, where the rail-built stops are, are both only long enough for a tank engine. So, when an excursion train arrived (such as on race days), it as reversed out of the platform slightly further, the loco ran forward and then back onto the road immediately to the right of the main line - the goods reception road and the right hand of the two main tracks seen in your heading picture, over the crossover just behind the cameraman, onto the back of the train. That had no restriction on loco length but did require closing the crossing to road traffic.

I mentioned the very important spur behind the crossing on the right - the only rail-built stops at Aylesbury I think - this was important because from there you could get to every siding from the end-loading to the left of the passenger station to the coal yard, goods yard, cattle dock and even those to the far right out of shot in your picture - all without closing the crossing gates. This is the sort of thing you come across when building a model of a real place and to scale.

Yes, I cut the wires at baseboard joints when the model was dismantled and each fitted with a tag 1, 2, 3, 4, etc (108 I think). Unfortunately over the years tags started to fall off!

Mike

david bigcheeseplant

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike
thanks for the info, Other than the articles in MRJ I don't know too much about the history of the layout, but I understood that it was the second model of Aylesbury made Geoff Williams the first being built in the 1960s, I just wonder if you could give me a bit of historical background for our Risex programme and if we get asked questions on the day
David

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Gosh, yes, I'll try David.

The first Aylesbury (later known as MK1!) was smaller, portable and certain shortcuts were taken which he later realised meant it could not be operated in a prototypical manner. It was exhibited at Central Hall Westminster at least once. The goods yard was abbreviated, the whole thing shortened and the track used GEM fibre sleepers. Information came in which showed that some assumptions he made about how it had been in pre-Grouping days were wrong, and in the end he decided to sell it and start again, making all critical areas exactly correct scale including all the buildings. The new model used EM-Society plywood sleepers with shoe brads riveted in and soldered to TT flatbottom rail, which was the nearest thing to scale available at that time. Very few people simulated chairs in 4mm at that time, but he used blobs of Polyfilla cut to shape with a knife - no real detail, but gives the impression. The old GEM sleepers had arched their backs increasing the gauge and he noticed that trains ran better where that had happened, so Aylesbury MK2 was built to the non-standard 18.2mm gauge many years before that became the standard. In fact he was ashamed for many years that he had not stuck to the published track standards, so didn't tell anyone!

Aylesbury MK1 was sold to Pat Whitehouse, father of Michael Whitehouse of Tyseley. When I was last at Tyseley many years ago, Aylesbury MK1 was still there, on display. Perhaps it still is?

Aylesbury MK2 he determined would not warp or move, so the baseboard was blockboard on 2in x 1in pine supports, themselves resting on 2in x 2in solid drawn angle steels resting on the roof timbers of the loft. It was solid with a capital "S", as you will have discovered! Cork was used under the track and the sleepers glued down solid. Once the track had been laid it was gone over with a piece of 2in x 1in with the ends planed off like a punt and covered with fine emery cloth. This ensured the rail top was dead flat (never mind the profile of the rail head!). It worked, because after all those years the only problems we even had with track was the odd pint blade becoming dislodged, mainly whilst track cleaning, or H&M point motor switches sticking. It was utterly reliable.

I think the various articles starting in the 1950s in Model Railway News, Model Railways, Model Railway Journal and Model and Miniature Railways might give some more background.

Mike

MartinWales

Western Thunderer
David-You are to be congratulated at this team effort in restoring this fine layout to it's former glory.

I'll look forward to forthcoming updates

david bigcheeseplant

Western Thunderer
I can take no credit for restoring the model as this has been done by others. I took some photos last Friday and it was the first time I had seen the layout in its full 30 foot length and have to admit I was blown away by the original build by Geoff Williams and his sons. If you do get chance to pop along this Saturday I don't think you will be disappointed.

2rmwok0.jpg

2llhjq8.jpg

Ian G

Western Thunderer
Seeing all the hard work rewiring it to DCC over many club nights and watching locos run makes club nights fun.

Ian G

Mike W

Western Thunderer
The gasholder should look impressive Simon, as in real life it absolutely dominated the scene at the station area. Geoff spent his entire career in the gas industry, latterly in construction and before North Sea gas came on-stream that included being responsible for the building of gas holders! I suspect the holder is actually under scale because the platform is also slightly under scale length.

As a modeller, I can made a scale replica of something, but what I do not have is the artistic skills needed for scenic modelling like this, and in particular scale. The platform is slightly short, so there is not enough space for a scale gasholder which nonetheless needs to be in proportion - i.e. not to high relative to its diameter. On the other hand, much of the railway is scale length, so when modelling the backscene in maybe 2mm scale, which is actually only 1ft behind the foreground which is 4mm scale, you have too much space. That's where the artist come in, and where I fail completely!

Really hope its first ever public outing goes well on Saturday.

Mike