Another quick refurb'

Sandy Harper

Western Thunderer
Windsor Castle is a nicely,scratch built model, acquired by a colleague of mine. Unfortunately it had not been painted that well and the varnish was brushed on, high gloss and patchy.

I did not want to mess with the original paint, as it was a nice colour, so all I did was respray with a varnish of my own mix.

My colleague is very pleased with the result and it is certainly a big improvement on what it was before.

P1080414.JPG

P1080417.JPG

P1080412.JPG

Regards
Sandy

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
Windsor Castle is a nicely,scratch built model, acquired by a colleague of mine. Unfortunately it had not been painted that well and the varnish was brushed on, high gloss and patchy.

I did not want to mess with the original paint, as it was a nice colour, so all I did was respray with a varnish of my own mix.

My colleague is very pleased with the result and it is certainly a big improvement on what it was before.

Hi Sandy

Lovely job. Can I ask:

1. Did you prepare the surface before you applied your varnish or did you spray directly onto the gloss?
2. What comprises your "own mix"?

Thanks

Tim

Sandy Harper

Western Thunderer
Hi Sandy

Lovely job. Can I ask:

1. Did you prepare the surface before you applied your varnish or did you spray directly onto the gloss?
2. What comprises your "own mix"?

Thanks

Tim
Hi Tim
I did not want to touch the original paint as I did not know its origin. Apart from a good dusting down and a gentle wipe with white spirit, where I thought I could see greasy finger marks, it was sprayed on direct.

My varnish mix is Ronseal Hardglaze Gloss Varnish (the Polyurethane type), a brush load of black enamel paint and enough Precision matting agent to achieve the effect you want. The mix is diluted with white spirit to quite a thin consistency and sprayed on in thin coats at about 18 psi.

The mix ratios are something like 3 x table spoons of varnish, a no. three brush load of black paint and around 2/3 brush loads of matting agent and about twice as much white spirit.

The idea of the black paint is to tone down the bright colours of the transfers/lining and give a dusty look to the engine. I don't like grime!!!

Kind regards
Sandy