Prototype An old Heidelberger...........and some others.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
In May of 1983 I was embarking on a holiday in the Neckar Valley and the journey involved a change of trains at Heidelberg. Whilst waiting for my connection I saw this ancient Class 160, numbered 160-012 which was one, if not the remaining, survivor of the class still acting as station pilot at Heidelberg Hbf. It remained parked on this siding for the whole time before my connection arrived. I did not have a telephoto or any similar accessory and this was the best picture I could get. Strangely, although I visited Heidelberg again during my stay in the region, 160-012 was always conspicuous by it's absence although it was not officially withdrawn for some time afterwards..

img029.jpg

img030.jpg
260-940 undoubtedly became a replacement station pilot - also pictured in Heidelberg Hbf

For those inte rested in Strassenbahn here are a couple of items that may be of interest:-

img017.jpg
An articulated car on Linie 1

img018.jpg
A works car comprising a pair of four wheeled retired cars.

I hope these old pictures may be of some interest - I can certainly recall that I had a very pleasant holiday with superb weather after what had been an exceedingly wet early spring which had led to the Rhine flooding and the Neckar had risen so much that cruise ships were unable to negotiate passage under the bridges.

Roger.

Last edited:

michael080

Western Thunderer
Roger,

very nice pictures, but the Class 163 is actually a Class 160, easily discernible because the 163 are 0-6-0 machines where the 160s are 2-6-0 (surprisingly not 0-6-2) engines. Only 14 of these machines were built, three are preserved. The loco on the picture 163-012 hasn't been cut up, it is on display at the Technik Museum Sinsheim
Some of the 163 were based at Stuttgart. They were moving rakes of coaches from the depot the the main station.

Michael

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Michael.

Many thanks for pointing out my error - I have amended the text. Working from memory at my age is a gamble - I should have checked the original photo and got it right in the first place :oops:!

Roger.