4mm An EM Workbench: n shades of grey

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Really useful and promising stuff re-Railtec. At some stage I'll need transfers for my 7mm Met electric loco and Dreadnought coaches all in LT livery. These are, nominally, available from Radley Models but they are not quite right, so I intend to visit the London Transport Museum with camera and tape measure. In the experience of those who have used Railtec are these likely to be within Steve's gambit? It's a bit early to ask him directly as I don't have the photos or measurements yet.

Brian

Reactions: AJC

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Really useful and promising stuff re-Railtec. At some stage I'll need transfers for my 7mm Met electric loco and Dreadnought coaches all in LT livery. These are, nominally, available from Radley Models but they are not quite right, so I intend to visit the London Transport Museum with camera and tape measure. In the experience of those who have used Railtec are these likely to be within Steve's gambit? It's a bit early to ask him directly as I don't have the photos or measurements yet.

Brian

Hi Brian,

I don't know if this info helps, but I punted a request in Steve's direction concerning the addition of supplying numbers for the BR 13T Steel Medium (PC45) and the ESSO ovals for a couple of Class B's I picked up from EBay (and I know Parkside sell Modelmaster decals for the 13T, but I like to do a 'one-stop shop' where I can... :

".....I don't see why we couldn't bring out packs for what you need. What might help speed things up is if you're able to provide a link to an image or two for what you need? I dare say certainly with the 13t, these carried quite a few different markings over the years so I'd like to make sure we make something that would suit. Likewise for the Esso tanks, I know these carried a plethora of different numbers over the years too, so any extra info you're able to provide there would be great."

So... If you can provide him with the info, I daresay he'll give you a straight answer. Obviously, I paid a bit for stuff that isn't up everyone's headshunt - how many people do you know that model the West Sussex Railway? :), so you're requirements might be considered a bit "bespoke" too.

Cheers

Jan

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks Jan.

It sounds as though this is the way to go - and it's entirely reasonable to pay a premium for transfers which have limited currency. I've plenty of photos but it's the accurate dimensions I don't have yet.

Now I have the answer I'll not crash this thread any further - and thanks for the loan of it.

Brian

AJC

Western Thunderer
Just for a change, something not on wheels. Ok, so it arrived at the state in which you see it about a year ago, but there you are; a very, very small step towards an eventual layout in the form of a weighbridge hut based on an original that once existed in the landsale yard at Merthyr Vale colliery. A couple of pictures of the original here:

S0979 P2061/45 0-6-0ST No.6 @ NCB Merthyr Vale Colliery

9600 Merthyr Vale Colliery 22.7.69 - nice Pelican loader in the background of this one.

This also provides an excuse to pass on my absolute favourite south Wales colliery shot of Merthyr Vale no. 1 beautifully framed by concrete fences, lattice footbridge and some rather interesting road vehicles.

No.1 Merthyr Vale Colliery 22.7.69

Weighbridge_001.gif

Weighbridge_002.gif

Yes, I know the concrete lintels need picking out again but I'm pleased with the brickwork. Inside, we have evidence of colliery modernisation in the form of a new weighing machine (I think it was Avery that supplied red ones and Pooley green, but I might have that the wrong way about. The screen is probably an unprototypical luxury!

Weighbridge_003.gif

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
A rubber-tyred wagon (well, a pair) for a change. Like Paul Karau (see the latest MRJ) I have a thing about building lorries as well as wagons and have a selection of examples that I want to do and which are gradually progressing. Not the Mammoth, unfortunately, since the chassis will require a concentrated modelling session -because of the need to design the thing as well - which I do not currently have time or inclination for. So, instead, I'm producing a pair of military ambulances as Lowmac loads intended to compliment one of dad's vehicles, a modified Lowmac EU (the ferry version, from a Dave Larkin picture; it probably wants some replacement buffers actually) with a BW Models Bedford TK (yes, the army did have some 4x2 Bedfords) on it.

Dad_Bedford_TK.gif

The examples chosen are from the Road Transport Images range and are some of the most distinctive post-war military lorries (and, by all accounts, some of the most ineffective), the Fordson Thames E3; there were also E2s for binned stores and E4s which were light artillery tractors. These were 4x4s with V8 petrol engines(!) and cabs more usually seen on Rootes group's Commers and Karriers and thus were usually referred to as 'Commer-cabbed Fords'. Slow and thirsty, these were exactly the kind of things I can envisage being transported by rail as required and besides, I like the peculiar looks of the things.

The RTI bits - resin cabs and body with whitemetal wheels - are better cast than the AEC but not without the odd bubble and the ambulance bodies are really quite nice. The chassis, however, are taken from the newish Bedford QL twin-pack lengthened by a few mm to represent the 12' 6" wheelbase of the original. These are much cheaper and better-detailed than the RTI equivalents and go together beautifully.

Fordson_Thames_E3_1.gif

Here's the basic assembly - you can just about see the rear prop shaft has been lengthened - and below is the current state of play:

Fordson_Thames_E3_2.gif

The rear chassis demonstrates that the two QLs are not quite the same and the rear has been packed so the bodies ride at the same height (I have a spec' sheet which provides all the dimensions - these are going to be fairly tight to gauge...) and the fronts have been lowered and adapted so that the cabs sit level and at the right height relative to all the other bits. Underneath, you can see that I've filed some flats on the tyres, winning another half mil' on the clearance battle.

Fordson_Thames_E3_3.gif

I'm doing a bit of work on the cabs at the mo', mostly to enlarge the windows which are a a bit too small as supplied. They'd be a picture, but the light is not quite good enough for the comparison shot.

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Rootling through the shelfqueen boxfile,* I've discovered a suitably low lowmac (for some Lowmacs are lower than others) for one of these Fords to ride on. This one is an SECR-designed, SR-built, version that BR branded Lowmac SD. It's right up against the 12' 10" the average loading gauge allows, but on the right side of comfort. I started this a couple of years ago and it's still square; I might now get around to finishing it.

Fordson_Thames_E3_4.gif

Comparison with the first shot of the components should show up the mods to the cab door windows and the various holes drilled for the grabs and wing mirrors. I have a GW Loriot from a D&S kit somewhere which I reckon should also suit.

Adam

*ahem, one of the shelf queen boxfiles. There's only two, honest!

Last edited:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
The 4mm community are very well served by the range of mix & match commercial vehicle components available from Road Transport Images. They provide a great starting point for building all manner of vehicles.

If only someone would do the same for 7mm :( (similar cabs etc to 1/48 are available but in 1/43 it really is a handful of complete resin kits or diecasts). The 3-D print market hasn't really swelled to adequate levels yet (will it ever?) and costs are high.

AJC

Western Thunderer
The 4mm community are very well served by the range of mix & match commercial vehicle components available from Road Transport Images. They provide a great starting point for building all manner of vehicles.

If only someone would do the same for 7mm :( (similar cabs etc to 1/48 are available but in 1/43 it really is a handful of complete resin kits or diecasts). The 3-D print market hasn't really swelled to adequate levels yet (will it ever?) and costs are high.

Well yes, but some are very much better than others (the LAD Dodge is quite poor in its proportions, for example - a pity, because I have a few pictures of some amazing twin-steer conversions of four wheelers that I'd love to model).

653 HTT Chinese Six Dodge LAD

022 LAD Dodge chinese six wheeler

I've never quite worked out why 1:43 is the default car scale but 1:50 applies to trucks - sheer size I suppose? Still, a '50s or '60s 8-legger is a big model in any scale and requires a fair amount of room so as not to dwarf everything around it.

Adam

Last edited:
SECR/SR Lowmac (from plastic sheet!)

AJC

Western Thunderer
Little bits and bobs, notably the basis of axleboxes (the BR plate-front pattern that all seem to have ended up with) layered up from 40 thou' with 10 thou' plates to represent the journals.

lowmac_003.jpg

The plank lines are scribed into 40 thou' sheet - the embossed stuff always looks like tongue and groove with a bevelled top edge, not that you can really tell here...

Lowmac_002.jpg

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
In a slightly scattergun move, yet another wagon. This time, a Cambrian Dogfish - because I enjoyed revisiting the first one I did. This time, I've replaced quite a bit of the strut detail with Evergreen strip, partly because I can, partly because the framework at the hopper wheel end is a bit undersize.

Dogfish_008.gif

Stage one: 5 thou' sheet on the end platforms, Colin Craig handwheels, Lanarkshire Models buffers and the Parks brothers' moudlings.

Dogfish_011.gif Dogfish_011.gif

Stage 2: hopper wheels frame - made from flat strip (10 thou' x 30 thou' and 10 x 40 to make 1mm angle; cheaper than brass!) and extensions to the end of headstocks.

Dogfish_010.gif

I've got a round of lamp irons to make for half a dozen vehicles so I suspect that's the next job and then, brakegear. It's almost a shame it'll end up all in black... BR Dogfish ballast hopper ZFV | DB983002 ZFV DOGFISH @ Toton 86-09-20 © Paul Bartlett W

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
With a day off comes a finished wagon while Test Match Special burbles away in the background. Lots of small details which are barely visible but add to the overall picture. Most of the hard work - and this is a notoriously tricky kit (a function of the prototype, of course) went on between the solebars.

Dogfish_015.gif

Dogfish_014.gif

In the picture above, you may see what's actually gone on. As supplied, the structural integrity of the wagon relies on butt joints around the platforms at the ends, to which the hopper is added with quite a lot of clearance at either end - this is because the chassis mouldings are shared with the Catfish which has a longer, shallower hopper. To cope with this, I've added packing at either end - two bits of 40 thou' at the 'long' end with the handwheels for the chutes and a strip of 20 thou' at the other and the whole thing is now quite robust and should remain square.

Dogfish_012.gif

The etched handwheels make a huge difference while the little etched lamp iron is a spare from Rumney Models etches - it's pinned through the headstock. Talking of lampirons, I had a batch of vehicles needing them (6 altogether...) and here's one of 'em, the GW fruit. Just wants for a step down from the solebar now.

GW_Fruit_3.gif

Adam

SECR/SR Lowmac (from plastic sheet!)

AJC

Western Thunderer
Avery certainly supplied red weighing machines in the food industry Adam.

Thanks for that Rob, I imagine that the colours were the same in other applications - not much call for weighing machines in my corner of academia! - so I'll need a matching weighplate when the time comes. Thank you also to the various button clickers.

Here's more examples of the difficulties of taking pictures of assemblies in white plastic in limited light. That said, you can see the plank lines in these. Otherwise, what's gone on is more gradual layering of detail onto the carcass of the SR lowmac. Since the last update, curb rails, wheel cover plates, angle brackets and the first pass of detail added to the axleboxes. It seems to be coming together quite well.

Lowmac_005.gif

Lowmac_006.gif

Adam