A New Venture in HO

CrankyChris

This is my first original post on WT although I have subscribed to the forum for a number of years out of curiosity and to get some modelling tips and ideas.
I have been modelling in 7mm for a while and am making slow progress over the years. House projects have caused a delay in my 7mm modelling but an interest in American HO from early days and other circumstances has meant a summer project to create something different for me.
This post is to show my first HO gauge effort as work in progress. Not strictly a shelf layout but small enough to be a shunting or switching layout.
Much of it is re-used items, track stock etc. which I have inherited from my late brother and some items I remember as a kid, so quite old. I have managed to get the track down and started on the cassette type of fiddle yard. I am about to take it down in order to sort the wiring out, install the point motors and construct a control panel. I intend to re-use the stock and any other items mostly second hand, except the point motors which I have gone for Cobolt as I bought a bulk load for another layout.
The layout is based on one that I saw at this years Harrogate model show, which was an inspiration to me. The bridge acts as a scenic break to the FY. I am not sure what the sidings could be serving, I have some box cars, tankers and flat cars, so maybe a freight warehouse and fuel storage?. I will reduce the length of the back siding to enable staggering of access to the sidings.
Any thoughts?IMG_5592.jpegIMG_5592.jpegIMG_5595.jpegIMG_5594.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5593.jpeg
    IMG_5593.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Much of it is re-used items, track stock etc. which I have inherited from my late brother and some items I remember as a kid, so quite old.
You're not kidding - I haven't seen X2f (a.k.a. Horn Hook) couplers for many years!!
Industry could be very non-specific; a general unloading area, that they used to call the Team Track, these days a Transload spur, can take most types of freight car quite plausibly, although those spurs (sidings in UK terms) might be swung away from the siding (UK = passing loop; the difference in UK & US terms is quite a minefield!!) as good access was needed to get a team of horses & their waggon up to the rail cars - hence 'Team track'.
The boxcar with the windows in it is a Maintenance of Way Bunk car (it says so on the side, too!) i.e. sleeping quarters for a work crew, so an MoW yard is another possibility, although I've no idea if or when bunk cars like that were phased out of service.

CrankyChris

Hi Jordan,
Thanks for comments and ideas, I may use a freight depot style of building.
The stock I remember from the 1960’s, so yes quite old and are ‘Ahearn‘ products. I have a couple of other short box cars on the layout. The PW bunk car was used to get proportions and length of spurs. I also inhereted the Tool Car, crane and matching caboose but this consist would be tool long.
For a ‘switching’ layout I gather that these horn hook couplers aren’t any good, I will get a load of kadees to replace them. The Walthers GP20 I recently purchased has both type of couplers. It is a surprise how much stock is around with the older coupler, hence why they are at v low prices I guess.
Two more work in progress pictures, showing the wiring and the Cobalt analogue motors, a very straight forward installation, I’ve not used them before. I will use them on my O Gauge layout, UK themed, when I get back to it next year.
The control panel next and then a test to everything to work and see how the cassettes work and then on to the interesting scenic bit!IMG_5608.jpegIMG_5597.jpeg

Western Thunderer
Those X2F couplers look suspiciously similar to the PECO / Dublo coupler. I use Dublo couplings on my exhibition shunting layout with a hand of God device that flicks open the coupling very quickly.
Cheers
Tony

CrankyChris

Hi Tony,
They are more ‘robust’ than the Hornby/peco style couplings and do not readily uncouple, you have to lift and twist the cars. I always wondered what the drop bar does, as in the H/p that opens the knuckles, they just seem to prevent uncoupling!
There are some really useful American YouTube videos on the different types of uncouplers and how to affect the automatic and delay uncoupling, very helpful, although I can only find them through a search engine rather than Youtube.
I do see a number of the H/p type of couplers on the occasional exhibition layout, they always seem to work well, I guess like any system, once it’s set up properly with jigs etc they should do the business. For my O gauge layout I use Spratt and Winkle.

steve1

Western Thunderer
You really can’t go wrong with Kadees on North American stock. Even a lot of older models are a straight drop in for the classic No 5 or later No 145.

2 essential items you need when using them are a coupler height gauge and coupler trip pin pliers.

steve

CrankyChris

So, the wiring is complete and a control panel made up, so a few more pictures of the underside of the main board and the control panel. All put up again and testing done, some changes of polarity made and the Cobalts have a very useful switch to change the direction of throw. Unfortunately, I have misplaced the jumper cable between the 2 boards, it’s in a safe place. Can you spot the deliberate mistake?
Edited the move the pictures that appeared amongst the text, why does it do that?

IMG_5629.jpegIMG_5631.jpeg
IMG_5630.jpeg

Last edited:

CrankyChris

For those that are interested, the connections on the panel are, from l to r:
power supply from the Gaugemaster controller;
isolating switch (green) for one track feed;
three cobalt point switches;
second isolating switch for the second track feed;
inbetween are the back of 6 leds for the point indications, the inputs are from the switches;
the 2 dc power supplies for the Cobalt point switches, you can trace the connection between the 3 of them.
The wire connections go the baseboard, one set red and black (common) to the track feeds and the other multicoloured for the point motors, the corresponding connections can be seen on the board.
I will tidy up the wiring up now that it is all tested and then I can get on with some ballasting.
I have found the inter-board connection so I am up and running.
I have 2 track feeds although I will be operating ‘one engine in steam’, but adds some flexibility should I ever need it.
btw, the deliberate mistake is that I have made the control panel for the viewing side rather than the operating side, but it can be easily adapted as it currently sits on an under board shelf. An additional picture showing the panel all lit up, a bit OTT for this small layout, but as I had some left over I thought I would use them up and was a useful trial.

IMG_5632.jpeg

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the info on the couplings, I've not heard of them, so was intrigued. But then I don't know much about north American railways anyway. I've learnt loads just reading WT.
Cheers
Tony

CrankyChris

You're not kidding - I haven't seen X2f (a.k.a. Horn Hook) couplers for many years!!
Industry could be very non-specific; a general unloading area, that they used to call the Team Track, these days a Transload spur, can take most types of freight car quite plausibly, although those spurs (sidings in UK terms) might be swung away from the siding (UK = passing loop; the difference in UK & US terms is quite a minefield!!) as good access was needed to get a team of horses & their waggon up to the rail cars - hence 'Team track'.
The boxcar with the windows in it is a Maintenance of Way Bunk car (it says so on the side, too!) i.e. sleeping quarters for a work crew, so an MoW yard is another possibility, although I've no idea if or when bunk cars like that were phased out of service.
Jordan,
To complete the picture here is the complete Mof W consist, something my Dad acquired, I would guess in the 1960‘s. Also a couple of box cars that need attention, I think I will need to purchase some new trucks! I would like to get some life into them, the purpose of the layout is reuse as much as I can although the original Athearn Pennsylvania RR F7 and GP9 rubber band drive locos have long disappeared! The box that the box cars have been stored in also gives a clue to the age of these models.

IMG_5637.jpegIMG_5636.jpegIMG_5638.jpeg

CrankyChris

So, what was supposed to be a short modelling project for the summer, has now rolled into a new year for a host of all sorts of reasons.
Here is a selection of the left over stock that I will use on the switching layout, quite a mix. I will cannibalise others for the trucks on the Athearn box cars. The top two are Walthers kits, I'm not sure of which pedigree although they have the horn hook couplers. The flat car doesn’t have instructions, does anyone know where I can obtain some, I've had no luck with the Walthers website?
As you can see I have obtained some kadee couplers and so the winter project is to get these installed and checked on a short length of test track. And once it gets warmer I can get to the layout.

IMG_6187.jpeg

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Glad to see you've gone for Kadee's Chris - they do make a lot of difference to operating, especially if you do go down the route of fitting uncoupling magnets beneath the track.

What's the info on the flat car - photo of the end of the box? I do have a load of Walthers instructions I never binned (well recycled), although don't think there were any flat cars, however knowing what the car is, can probably lead to a load of photos of a potential RTR Walthers version which might aid construction.

Is the Caboose an Atlantic Coast Line version?

I'll have to dig the remains of my HO out and then put up for sale on here, think I had a whole load of kadees for various locos....

Cheers,

Stephen

CrankyChris

Stephen,
The flat car box picture attached, it has has other components which I presume would go on top of the deck, parts also shown. As an ordinary flat car I should be able to figure out how it goes together, I am intrigued by the other fittings.
The caboose is a Missouri Pacific, it may be surplus to my needs and as it is still sealed I may well sell on.
I would be interested in some HO stock and am sure the kadees will be put to use, please let me have first dibs.
BR
IMG_6188.jpegChrisIMG_6185.jpeg

CrankyChris

Stephen,
Thanks for the information. Whilst doing an internet search I found one kit for sale on eBay albeit in the USA. The images showed a page of the instructions and fortunately had the make up the ends which should suffice. I can guess on the positions of the brake system gubbins. I may try contacting the seller to see if they can scan the instructions for me.
I have fitted 4 cars with kadees, but I still need to test them on the layout, it needs to get a little warmer before I go back into the garage.
Regards,
Chris

CrankyChris

I have decided that I will build the GSC in its later version of ‘piggy back‘ use to take a trailer. This will enable me to model and end ramp to one of the spurs to provide some variety. The kit has the parts to load a trailer so these provides a good option. I contacted Walthers for some instructions, to be fair they did try but the kit predates the digitisation of instructions as it is from the 80’s. I didn’t like say I was also using 60’s vintage stock as well.
I also received some more kadee goodies including other couplers for a couple of other models and some uncouplers, delayed and not delayed. I set up a length of track on my workbench to see how they worked. Having satisfied myself of the arrangement and workings I proceeded to cut ties, lift track and cut holes in the baseboard. I have experimented with the loco and freight cars that I have converted with kadees and all seems be to working. Some adjustment is needed to some stock to make uncoupling more reliable, but I am ready to secure the uncouplers and then let the ballasting commence!

IMG_6226.jpeg

IMG_6227.jpegIMG_6228.jpeg

steve1

Western Thunderer
So, what was supposed to be a short modelling project for the summer, has now rolled into a new year for a host of all sorts of reasons.
Here is a selection of the left over stock that I will use on the switching layout, quite a mix. I will cannibalise others for the trucks on the Athearn box cars. The top two are Walthers kits, I'm not sure of which pedigree although they have the horn hook couplers. The flat car doesn’t have instructions, does anyone know where I can obtain some, I've had no luck with the Walthers website?
As you can see I have obtained some kadee couplers and so the winter project is to get these installed and checked on a short length of test track. And once it gets warmer I can get to the layout.

View attachment 207994
Do you have the height gauge & pliers?

steve

CrankyChris

Hi Steve,
I’ve not invested in those tools just yet. I have set up a piece of test track to get the alignment of the couplers and uncouplers set up and then just run the cars and locos over them. I’ve also delved into some Utube videos and the Kadee instructions.
Most seem to work ok, and as I fix the Uncouplers to the layout I test them again before I start the ballasting and covering them with concrete vehicle access.
I need to adjust the draw boxes on the older Athearn cars more than the more recent cars (40 years old!) as they are a sloppy fit, but I am hoping trial and error will get me there. I don’t have too many to do. I may not do the crane and PW cars as the consist will be too long, they’ll be kept in memory of my dad and brother.
Regards
Chris

CrankyChris

Some additions I obtained from fellow WT member Stephen, the silver reefer is certainly eye catching! The SD40 is a bit over the top for this layout but is a really good model and ran smoothly straight out of its box. I just need to change the couplers to kadees, which were supplied. It is interesting to compare with the more elderly Athearn box cars behind, certainly the trucks are of a very different design and construction.
IMG_6247.jpeg