A brake van of questionable heritage

Arty

Western Thunderer
One of the benefits of larger scale models is the extra details that you can add. I'm always drawn to the detail on timber framing, so thought I'd see what was easily possible in either styrene or real timber.
I like the stopped chamfering on external timber framing, so experimenting with my router table, styrene lost the battle due to the heat generated by the cutter, but not suprisingly timber behaved itself.

fbrake001.jpg
Having got carried away with the router, my mind wandered to a suitable vehicle to continue my experiments on. I started inventing a brake van.
Cutting out some 2mm MDF and chopping out some windows, door and rapidly assembled a body.

fbrake002.jpg
fbrake004.jpg
Having got that far, I could prepare some framing. so machined some hardwood to size and cut the chamfers to suit.
fbrake005.jpg

With a bit of Williams Models running gear.
fbrake006.jpg
And some styrene ironwork and nut detail.
fbrake007.jpg

Added some very nice G3 lamp brackets from Slaters.

Spitfire2865

Western Thunderer
You need to stop making us all look bad in comparison! This is a lovely bit of freelancing.
Though perhaps its deserving of some half height timber doors on the veranda. Seems a little open without IMO.

Arty

Western Thunderer
I think some hinged bars across the openings would help like the ones on the Mid Wales brake, and that extra step.
It was just an experiment Trevor, that got a bit out of hand.

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Arty
I do like the idea of inventing rolling stock, I'm thinking of trying it myself using some spare wagon straps that I have. Firstly, I have to finish those Gloucester coal wagons. Tell me, where did you get the kit for the Mid Wales brake van and what year is it?

Jon

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Richard
Thanks for coming back. I’ve asked David to enlarge one of his brake van kits but without success. I have asked twice but no joy, hey ho.

Jon

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Richard
I wanted the Henson Brake Van with the thought that it could go behind Enigma. I've just had another look at his website and the West Somerset Mineral railway Composite Coach looks nice as does the Caledonian fish van. But the Brake Van would come first.

Jon

Mike W

Western Thunderer
You know why he doesn't want to do the Henson brake van, but the other two he might be happy to cut, once his new laser cutter has been commissioned. I know somebody else has been promised a G3 Mid Wales brake and that's also waiting for laser time.

Mike